This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 655 or Next - Page 657

Sarah and Gerhard Stone.

farmed in the Danvers area until the early '40's when they moved to B.C. They had a family of four boys, Dorland, Hugh, Vernon, and Harvey. They were also the proud grandparents of identical triplet girls. Mary passed away in 1972 and Joe in 1977.

John remained on the farm all his working years taking over from his father at the time of their mother's death. He and his brother Norman farmed together, until 1974 when they retired to live in Erickson.

John and Norman Stone.

Walter worked at home and was in the armed services from 1940 to 1943. He moved to B.C. in the fall of 1944 where he worked as a lumber grader for the same company for thirty-five years. He married Fiola Stefansson and they had a family of ten children.

Hugh worked for a few years in the mine at Sherridon, Manitoba, until enlisting first in the Air Force and then transferring to the Army in World War Two. He also worked in the Cordite war plant in Winnipeg. He married


Louise Lynn formerly of Poplar Point. They lived in Winnipeg until they bought a farm at Poplar Point and moved there. They lost their home by fire in 1962. Hugh continued to operate the farm but they made their new home in Winnipeg. He also was employed at the Headingley Jail. Hugh lost his life in a tragic combining accident in the autumn of 1963. They had five children:

Elwood, Sheldon, Sandy, Cynthia and Patty.

Grace, the youngest daughter, was at home until she went to work in a war plant in Long Branch, Ontario during the second World War. In 1947 she went to B.C. where she worked in restaurants and hotels in the food department as she was an excellent cook. She is now retired, living in Vancouver.

Norman also worked in the mine at Sheridan, being there for five years, coming home to farm with his brother John. During the winter months he worked in Winnipeg with Emil Larson for five years as assistant ice­ maker at the Civic Caledonian Curling Rink. After Emil's death he was head ice-maker for six years.

With this family of so many boys, the younger ones learned to play ball at an early age. Because of this and the coaching of their teacher, Leonard Neva, they became some of the better players both in school sports and the Erickson Ball Club.

Sarah Jane passed away in 1945. Gerhard lived with his sons, John and Norman, until his death in 1948. The farm was in the family for ninety years.

Grace Stone

Obstacles in the pathway of the weak become stepping stones in the pathway of the strong.