This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 672 or Next - Page 674

Adolphe was a very generous and honest man. He was a member of the Bethlehem Lutheran congregation and gave of his time to the upkeep of the church, acting as janitor for many years.

In May, 1952, he sold his property to Otto and Annie Halvarson, then moved into Erickson. With failing health and unable to carryon, he spent his last years in the Salvation Home in Winnipeg. Adolphe died in Winnipeg in 1949. He was laid to rest in the Erickson Municipal Cemetery.


Emil was born in 1861 and was of Swedish descent and was a farmer by trade. He accidentally drowned in Otter Lake on September 18, 1886. Emil was of Lutheran faith, and is buried at the All Saints Anglican cemetery, Clanwilliam, Manitoba.


by Jocelyne Steele

Joseph Tinkler was born December 10, 1890, in Benwick, Cambridgeshire, England, the third son in a family of five boys and two girls. At the age of twelve, he left school and worked every day.

He came to Canada in 1912, to the farm of his uncle Harry Butler in the Hamiota area. He worked for several farmers there and joined the Canadian army at Min­ nedosa. He went overseas with the 226th battalion. He was awarded the Military Medal for bravery in France by the Prince of Wales, uncle of our Queen. The family knew of the medal, but didn't know why he had received it and hadn't seen his citation until his son-in-law returned home from overseas in 1945, when he told the whole story. When Joe came back after the war he worked for some time on the railroad in Saskatchewan, then for farmers in the Minnedosa area, where he met Henrietta Hunter, who had come from Armadale, Westlothian, Scotland, with her mother and brothers Tom and Bill.

He first filed on a quarter section of land where the town of Onanole is now but cancelled it in favor of land at Crawford Park, when it was opened for soldiers' settlers.

Joe and Etta were married in June of 1922, and moved to the farm where they lived in a granary until their house was complete.

Their first daughter, Margaret Jocelyne was born March 30th in the upstairs part of the building where Oshust's Solo store is now located. They came in by team through a blizzard at night. At one time they were lost on Clear Lake, but Jack Reid, Sr. had got up during the night and lit the lamp, which guided them to his place, where they changed teams and continued their trip, in time.

The first years were difficult with heavy bushland to clear, killing frosts when they did get some crop in, all the hardships the pioneers had to contend with. However,

with a lot of hard work things did improve. They milked cows and sold cream and homemade butter, and also eggs.

Everyone was in the same boat so they helped each other and visited, getting together to dance in whichever house was big enough.

Joseph and Etta Tinkler.

Their only son William George was born in February of 1932, Monica Jean in February, 1935, and Elizabeth Louise in February, 1939.

In January of 1943, Jocelyne married Stewart Steele.

He was sent overseas shortly after, returning to Canada exactly two and a half years from the date of their wedding. He saw action in Britain, France, Holland, Belgium and Germany.

By that time Joe was spending quite a bit of time in Deer Lodge hospital as a result of his war injuries. When Stewart got his discharge, he and Jocelyne bought the farm from her father, through the Veterans Land Act. Joe and Etta, Bill, Mona and Betty moved into Erickson in 1946, having bought Ernest Gusdal's store. The children completed their education there.

In 1949, they sold the store to Jim and Mabel Jackson and bought what was known as the McKenzie house where they spent the rest of their lives. Joe enjoyed gardening, fishing, curling and bowling and was caretaker of the cemetery from 1948 to 1969 for $50.00 per annum. He took great pride in his work there. He bought a garden tractor, made a little trailer to pull behind in which he sat and where he carried his lawn mower and other tools he used at the cemetery. He and his "go-to-hell" as he called it were a familiar sight around town, usually with a grandson and one or two other children in the back. He often drove it in parades, usually in front or behind Ted Neilson with a farm tractor.

He and Etta enjoyed fishing and as well as becoming well acquainted with all the local lakes, they travelled to Flin Flon to fish with her two brothers, to Cranberry Portage when Betty and their family were there and to Kenora and Sioux Narrows to visit Mona.

Joe was a Life member of the Erickson Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion and was active in helping with