This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 673 or Next - Page 675

the first bingo games the branch held, also in taking care of the grounds around the old hall down on Main Street. Etta was a member of the Legion Ladies' Auxiliary, worked with the Girl Guides, and also was an ardent curler and bowler. She was a wonderful cook and worked for some time at Ivor's cafe and at Wally's.

In 1957, the family got together to help them in renting a cafe at the Park, which they called "The Doghouse", later to be known just as "Mum's".

The purpose of this was to help them make a trip back to Britain, as neither of them had been back since they first came to Canada. The family all worked together. Things had changed so much, but they enjoyed their visit to members of their families in England and Scotland. Etta went back a couple of times, but Joe was content to stay at home. To him, Canada was home. Etta spent a few more summers at the Park, working at other cafes.

Jocelyne and Stewart have two sons, Allan, born on January 5, 1947, Bill was born August 26, 1950. He underwent a serious operation at the age of seven weeks and it was several months before they knew he would survive.

Allan started school at the Clear Creek school at Crawford Park. In 1950, Stewart developed a serious case of asthma and acting on doctor's orders, sold the farm to Ted and Harriot Hodges. They purchased the Anglo agency and mail contract from Keith Baxter, including a cream route. They hauled mail from Erickson to Onanole, Crawford Park and to Wasagaming in the summer months. Along with the mail and cream, there were supplies for Ashby's, Frith's and Turner's stores, such as flour, milk, bread, all the things necessary for a general store. Also a variety of items for people along the way, repairs, plowshares and cultivator shovels to be sharpened, tires to be fixed, cattle and grain cheques to deposit in the bank, prescriptions to pick at Shaw's Drugstore, birthday cards and gifts, get-well cards and gifts for anyone who was in hospital. During the summer months there was freight from the C.N. station for the gift shops at the Park, such as 400 pound barrels of china from Britain, furniture for some of the cottages, saddles etc. for the riding academies, bread, pies and cookies from Wally's for the cafes.

They played for dances after Stewart came home, accompanied by Mrs. Mayor on piano for the first few years. Later Mrs. Halstead, Mrs. Val Rankin on piano, Elsie McLaughlin and Shep Ramsden on banjo, Al Pollen played guitar. After a few years of not playing, they started again with their son Bill on piano and electric organ and Melvin Spaller playing base guitar.

In 1954, they moved into Erickson, when the mail delivery was changed to daily, to Onanole and Wasagaming, from three times a week. They rented a house for a few years, then bought two lots from Gordon Freko and moved their house in from Crawford Park.

Stewart was assistant Postmaster from 1958 to 1960, Jocelyne hauled the mail, drove children from the Rolling River Reserve and worked part-time at the Post Office. They were both active in the Legion and still are.

In 1962, they traded their property in town for the Stitt farm in the Bethel district, where they still reside.

Stewart worked at the south gate at the Park until he

674

had a coronary in 1971. Jocelyne hauled the mail, also drove a school bus for several years when Tales school closed. She resigned the mail contract in 1968, after eighteen years and was assistant Postmistress at the Park post office till it closed.

They rented Sunset Farm and Gordon Bergeson's land until 1977 when again they had to obey their doctor's orders and retire. They sold their machinery and cattle and 80 acres of land, keeping 80 .acres of Whirlpool Ranch, which their land is registered as. They keep a few cattle and some horses including their Tennessee Walking horses.

They are active in the Legion, the Fair Board and enjoy old-time dancing. Allan played baseball, hockey and football, played in a band and upon completing school, worked in garages then took a meat cutting course. He worked in that capacity at Virden, Brandon and Car­ berry. In 1969, he went to Sudbury to work for Inco, there he met and married Gloria McCulligh. They have three sons, Curtis 8, Dale 5 and Andrew 2. Bill taught figure skating in Erickson, was also active in sports and played in a band. On finishing high school, he took one year's university at the University of Winnipeg, then a hotel-motel course at the International Career Academy in Toronto. He spent a year and a half at a hotel in Bermuda, a short while at a hotel in Montreal, then after spending two evenings watching some dancer friends at rehearsal, was told to either dance or get out, so he showed them he could dance and got into show business. At present, he is in his fourth six-month contract as choreographer and dance captain on the S.S. Norway, the biggest cruise ship in the world.

Bill Tinkler worked for Ted Neilson, then for Bill Andrews at the lumberyard, becoming manager there when Bill sold the business to Beaver Lumber. He married Ethel Smith of Plumas, who was nursing at the Erickson hospital. He was transferred to the lumberyard at Beausejour. They lived there for several years, then he was moved to Winnipeg. He was district Supervisor, travelling to Beaver Lumber yards throughout the province. He bought the old C.N. roundhouse in Neepawa and had an independent lumber business and window factory. On selling it to Chimo, he moved the window factory to the backyard of his house, where he still resides. He is now part owner of Allied Lumber Sales. They have three children, Barbara, Mrs. Craig Fedorowich; Lynda, Mrs. Barry Robbins and one son Scott. Scott is married and lives in Calgary as does Lynda. Barb and Craig live in Selkirk. Scott is the last male Tinkler.

Mona took her schooling in Erickson, was active in Girl Guides. She and some of her friends often biked up to Crawford Park to spend weekends with Stewart and Jocelyne on the farm. She worked for Wally in his cafe and bake shop. She married Bob Pratt and they are now separated. She spent a few years in B.C. She came back and worked up at God's River at a fly-in tourist camp. Then in camps at Lac Lu, Sioux Narrows and near Kenora, Ontario. She came back to stay with her parents in Erickson and now lives on Sunset Farm, the old Rognan farm.

Betty married Bill Wasylenko of Rackham, who works