|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 678 or Next - Page 680
district and then later to Minnedosa. Bud married Myrtle Bailey of Portage la Prairie. They had a family of two girls and a boy. Bud worked for the Hydro for many years. They reside in Winnipeg.
TURNER, EDWARD AND LORNA
by Ed Turner
Edward emigrated from England at the age of 18. He arrived in Winnipeg in June, 1931, and in the fall of that year he was sent by the unemployment agency to Riding Mountain National Park to clear scrub. Ed started working on farms, harvesting and then to Conrad Ramgrens doing chores during the winter. Conrad, his wife and daughter Amy were the kindest people to him. In 1932, another new adventure at Otter Lake, he cut ice blocks, placed them in an icehouse, covered with sawdust. The ice was used during the summer months to keep the meat, cream, milk cool and prevent spoiling. Ed learned how to shoot and snare rabbits which he sold to the fox farm owners. He became acquainted with several Scandinavia families and ate their ethnic foods that they had prepared. His first car was a 1927 Ford Coupe which cost thirty-five dollars.
In 1937, he purchased 120 acres adjoining the Scan dinavia Church property where he cut and sold wood to pay for it. On January 30, 1942, Ed married Lorna Tiller at the Hilltop Baptist Church by Rev. Meyers.
In October, 1942, he joined the Canadian Army in World War II and served for two years until he received a discharge for medical reasons.
They sold the farm, purchased and operated a General Store in the Onanole district until 1956, when they purchased the Outdoor Roller Rink at Clear Lake which they operated for 16 years.
In 1962, Ed was the Manager of the Erickson Credit Union. They built a new home in Erickson on Fourth Street South. In 1968, Ed was elected Mayor of the Village of Erickson. In 1970, when Queen Elizabeth, Prince Phillip and two children visited Erickson, Ed and Lorna received and greeted them on behalf of the Village.
In 1972, they sold the Roller Rink and purchased the Bowling Alley at Clear Lake which they operated for seven years. They have since retired and moved to Onanole. Ed and Lorna are members of the Onanole United Church.
Lorna has been an active member of Erickson and Onanole Women's Institute, serving as President, Secretary and Pianist, also serving on the Regional and Provincial Board. In 1982, she received a life membership certificate and pin. Lorna has taught music for several years. She received a token of appreciation for being Organist at the Onanole United Church for twenty-five years (1957-1982).
They have two children:
James Kenneth, born at the Nursing Home at Erickson on January 20, 1945. He received his education at Onanole and Minnedosa. Jim began working for the CPR at Minnedosa and presently is an Engineer. He married Bonnie McFarlane of Minnedosa on December 12, 1967, and they reside in Minnedosa. Jim and Bonnie
have two children, a son Derrick James who is presently attending Minnedosa Collegiate, and a daughter Jodi Rene who is attending Tanner's Crossing School. Derrick and Jodi are fond of music, of which they receive lessons.
Dianne Lynn, born at the Lady Minto Hospital, Minnedosa on September 25, 1948. She received her elementary education at Onanole and Minnedosa, at tended Erickson Collegiate and graduated from Brandon University, receiving a B.A. Degree in 1970. Dianne taught for two years at Glovertown, Newfoundland. In 1973, she received a REd. Degree at Memorial University, St. Johns. Dianne taught at Miami Collegiate for eight years and then to St. Vital, Manitoba. She is presently taking a Legal Secretary course at Hertzig Institute, Winnipeg.
TURNER, GEORGE AND KATHLEEN
by Bill Turner
George, son of William and Alice Turner of the Franklin district married Ada Kathleen Dillabough, daughter of Robert and Margaret Dillabough of Min nedosa on December 13, 1916.
They lived in the Clanwilliam area until 1929 when they moved to Carnduff, Saskatchewan.
In 1935, George, Kathleen and young son William loaded a trailer and 1925 Ford with their precious sewing machine, personal belongings and tools, and headed for Manitoba. After a long day's travel they reached Kathleen's brother's home, Sam Dillabough, at Min nedosa where they spent the night. The family then moved on to the Norland district to N.E. 16-18-17W. Times were not good and July II, 1938, Kathleen passed away.
While living here, son William played ball with the Norland Kings. George and his son remained in the district another year or so, then moved to Minnedosa. George has since passed away.
Their son; William David married while at Minnedosa.
He joined the 12th Dragoons but in March, 1941 tran sferred to the Royal Canadian Air Force where in 1944 was wounded, losing a leg and thumb. William received an honorable discharge.
Upon return, they lived in Minnedosa, later moving to British Columbia. William moved to Winnipeg where he resides. He is a member of The Royal Canadian Legion and a Life member of the War Amp's Manitoba Division. William is kept busy visiting their four sons and two daughters.
TURNER, JAMES AND EMMA
by Arthur Koping
Jim, a son of Thomas Turner was born in Ontario, came as a child to the Clanwilliam area where he grew up. Emma was born in Sweden, came to Canada at the age of eight. Her parents were Erik and Wilhelmina Koping who homesteaded N.W. 14-17-17W. She attended school mostly in Hilltop. Because of the distance from the