|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 700 or Next - Page 702
Mary's, Missouri. He became permanently employed in 1937 as stockkeeper for a firm of Manufacturers' Agents in Winnipeg and subsequently became a commercial traveller for the same company. Meanwhile Win had taken business training and was employed for the same company as a stenographer. They were married at Greenwood United Church in Winnipeg in 1942, and Bill spent the next three years with the Royal Canadian Artillery at Brandon, Shilo and Petawawa as an In structor. He returned to travelling after his discharge and was transferred to Saskatoon in 1951. There they raised three children, John, Diane and Judy. The move to the farm at Erickson in 1974, as a result of John's association with the Fisheries' Research Board's rainbow trout farming project in the area, was the fulfilment of a dream for Bill.
They involved themselves in the activities of the community after their arrival; Bill with curling and the Rec. Centre; Win with the Parkland Home as Secretary Treasurer-Manager for six and one half years, Hilltop Women's Club, UCW and choir at Onanole United Church, also with the curling clubs. They hope to spend many more years in this peaceful, friendly community.
WHITAKER, JOHN AND SHARON
by John and Sharon
John was born in Winnipeg to William and Winnifred Whitaker, and from the age of six, resided in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Sharon nee Vaughan was born in Saskatoon. Both studied Biology at the University of Saskatchewan where they met and married May 14, 1966. In 1968, they moved to Winnipeg where John was em ployed with the Freshwater Institute and Sharon taught biology at Daniel Mcintyre Collegiate.
John began working in the Erickson area in 1968, with the Rainbow Trout Research project. In the fall of 1972, John and Sharon purchased the S. W. 31-17 -17W and S.W. 32-17-17W from Lawrence and Gladys Block. The family, including daughter Alison, born on August 9, 1971, took possession in the spring of 1973, and the summer was spent operating the farm while John con tinued to work for the Fisheries.
In April, 1974, the family flew to Bangkok, Thailand, where John worked on a Canadian government project to upgrade Thai fisheries' research and introduce Rainbow Trout culture to Northern Thailand. The family enjoyed their experiences in a culture so different from the Canadian way of life. Of all the souveniers brought home the nicest was a four-month old baby, Nicholas John, born in Bangkok on November 22, 1974.
In the summer of 1975, the start of a beef herd was purchased and an addition was built onto the house. John resigned from the Fisheries in 1976. The S.E. 36-17- 18W was purchased in 1978, and in 1980, the family added cream production to their beef and grain operation. Another son, lain Hartley, was born in Erickson Hospital on October 17, 1978.
WHITE, MEAHAN AND MAY
by Hilda Davies
Meahan (Mac) White and May Peterson were married at her parents' home, south of Minnedosa in 1933. They then moved to farm four miles north of Clanwilliam on the S.W. 6-17-17W in the Clanwilliam Municipality. They put up new buildings and raised mainly cattle. Merrill Johnson now lives on that farm.
Prior to this, an Icelandic family by the name of Colson homesteaded and built log buildings. Later they moved away out to Foam Lake, Saskatchewan. Then another family occupied the place having the misfortune of burning their barn so they divided the log house, one side for living, the other side a stable, until later building a shack and using the whole building as a stable. It was used for several years by the Whites also.
In 1966, mother and dad bought a house in Newdale to retire. Dad passed away very suddenly, October 2, 1970, at age 73. It is here my mother still lives.
Mac and May White had two children, Hilda and Dennis. Hilda got her schooling at Lakelet, Clanwilliam and Erickson. She taught one year at Mount Calm School. In 1954, she married Neil Davies and they farm north of Newdale. They have two girls, Doris and Edna. Doris married Dwayne Waddell and they have a son Ryan. They live in Mississauga, Ontario. Edna is helping out at home on the farm.
Dennis lives in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, where he is employed as a mechanic for the City Transit.
WICKDAHL, BERNT AND GERTRUDE
by Henry Wickdahl
Bernt, born in Viten Tronham, Norway, on December 17,1864, married Gertrude Braken, born May 7, 1865.
In 1903, Bernt, who was a millwright in a large sawmill in Sweden, was moved to Canada by the Company. On April 13, 1904, aboard the ship Bavarian his wife and family arrived in Halifax. After several years in the lumber and sawmill work in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, they moved to Manitoba arriving in Erickson on December 10, 1911. They settled on the N.W. 2-18-18W which had been homesteaded by Swanberg. They moved into a small house which had been built by C.A.V. Johnson and a Mr. Miller. Later they moved into a larger house which they moved from the S.E. 3-IS-ISW to the site where it still stands and where William and Nancy now live.
Since they had come from a lumber and logging background the area with its stands of timber proved winter work and income. Logs were cut and sawn to provide lumber for the buildings they needed as well as for sale. Railroad ties were cut and hewn as well as wood cut and hauled to Minnedosa to sell or exchange for supplies.
Summer offered new challenges, that of clearing the timber and scrub from the land so it could be broken and crops grown. This was difficult work as it was all done with horses. When broken, the hills were covered with rocks which had to be removed. Since horses were