This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 704 or Next - Page 706

Bridge Party and Dance at Scandia Hall. The boys wore white shirts, ties, and Albin's white linen butcher jackets were put to good use. They had previously made band stands which were newly painted and the band looked really great. Fred enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force, World War II and first became a Wireless Gunner and then to Flying Officer in the Prairie Command. He served some time in England, Scotland, and was enroute to South Africa when after leaving Gibraltar, their plane was shot down, and in 1942, Fred was officially presumed dead.

Sedora, married Guenter Klinkow and they reside at Richmond, B.C.

Audrey, married John Syrett and they reside at Vancouver, B.C.


Erick was born on December 12, 1858 and Anna born on December 23, 1858 in Sweden. They were married in Sweden in 1890 and immigrated to Canada six months later. They farmed N.E. 18-18-18W and the girls at­ tended Tales School.

Erick bought Isaac Hart's store in 1907, and sold out in 1910, going to the United States. In 1913, they returned to Erickson and built a store, which he later sold to Mannie Ramgren.

Erick passed away on August 27, 1929 and Anna on April 17, 1935.

They had three daughters;

Gerda married Emanuel "Mannie" Ramgren. (refer to Ramgren, Emanuel and Gerda).

Annie married Albert Ramgren. (refer to Ramgren, Albert and Annie.

Vivian married Nils Christianson.

Eric Wickstrom Family. Standing: Vivian, Annie, Albert, Gerda. Seated: Eric, Anna and Mabel.


by Margaret Cookson

John Thomas Wilkinson, born on February 6, 1883, left his parents and brothers at Cote Hill Farm, Nor­ thumberland, England, and sailed from Liverpool on May 7, 1904. He landed at Halifax on May 17, and travelled by train to Winnipeg, changing trains in Montreal. Arriving in Winnipeg on May 21st he then proceeded by train to Minnedosa where he hired a man and rig to take him to Danvers where he started work for Mr. Tales on his farm.

He left Danvers in April, 1905, and worked on farms in Harding, Bradwardine, Margaret and Dunrea in the Brandon area before leaving to return to England in November, 1905, crossing Lake Superior from Fort William, through the Sault to Sarnia en route. From there by train to Montreal, where he boarded a ship for home.

However, the freedom of the new land called and remembering a small, secluded lake which he had found while on a Sunday walk some miles north of Mr. Tales' farm, he returned in May, 1908, to homestead the west half of Section 33-18-18W. He noted while coming through Winnipeg that the city had improved since he had left four years ago, most of the main streets being asphalted and there were several fine new buildings.

In his diary he also noted on May 31, 1909, that 1500 immigrants had come into Winnipeg on that day and many were farmers.

In 1910, John's elder brother, William, his wife and two small daughters, Isabella and Margaret, joined him and homesteaded to the east across the Whirlpool River. Both brothers built log homes at this time, which stood for many years.

John, by now being called Jack by his Canadian friends, enlisted in a reserve unit in Winnipeg on June 28, 1916. He was sent to France and served for 14 months there with the 43rd Cameron Highlanders. While serving in the trenches in France he was wounded, suffering gunshot wounds to right and left shoulders, from which he recovered, though the effects of these injuries would trouble him several years later. He returned to Winnipeg in January, 1919, and was demobilized there on January 31st and returned to his farm.

Jack loved horses, cared for them well and was known for his frisky teams. He cleared many acres of the farm with their help. Later he would work in the field in the daylight hours, returning to stack sheaves in the moonlight while his horses rested.

Winters at that time were long and cold and he was to remember later, in reminiscing, of having crossed the ice­ covered lake during May of one of those early years with a team and sleighload of oats, a short-cut to Erickson.

In May, 1921, Jack again travelled to Winnipeg to meet his childhood sweetheart coming from Ponteland, England. His brother, William, joined them for their wedding at the home of Reverend and Mrs. A. Hamilton, in Winnipeg.

Hannah brought many trunks of family linen and china to the log home on the farm. Siding soon covered the logs and a kitchen was added. Hannah later talked of