|This page is a text version of the RM of Rhineland History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of the RM of Rhineland History Book
Previous - Page 112 or Next - Page 114
brought in. These dredges were steam powered, burning the wood which had been stockpiled the winter before. Since a floating dredge required a minimum of four feet of water, dykes were constructed a half a mile ahead of the dredge to maintain adequate water levels. 10 That first year approximately 17 miles of drains were completed along with five platform truss bridges and six culverts. 1l
In 1904 severe spring flooding retarded drainage work, but a 6 mile canal was dug in an easterly direction from Buffalo Lake providing considerable relief to adjoining lands and the village of Rosenfeld. The dredge was then moved to Plum Coulee and a channel was commenced to connect that coulee with the Hespeler Coulee, two and a half miles further north. This was stopped for the season after constructing half a mile." By 1907 most of the proposed drainage work in the district had been completed. In all, 33 miles of dredge canals and 57.55 miles of lateral drains had been dug benefitting over l32,836 acres .13 It was during this period that Lutheran settlers around Rosenfeld and Plum Coulee began farming the lands in the northern part of the municipality.
This large drainage project had involved close co-operation be tween the municipality and the provincial government, and while this increased government involvement was welcomed by the municipal council it was not without its problems. The Public Works Department had helped fund and construct the drains in the drainage district, but it was left to the municipality to maintain the drains. This became more and more of a problem as teams and labour in the municipality were unavailable during the summer months, and wind erosion partially filled the drains with silt.
Roads presented less of a headache at this point since there were few automobiles and roads were only roughly graded. Despite this, most road allowances in Rhineland had been graded by 1914. This work was accomplished with the use of graders hauled by steam tractors up to 1907 and gasoline tractors thereafter.
If the provincial government was becoming more involved in the affairs of Rhineland, so were Rhineland's inhabitants becoming more involved in provincial and federal politics. The number of actual voters increased throughout the period but the school issue did have an effect on the number of registered voters. Previous to the flag legislation in 1907 there were over 900 registered voters in the provincial constituen cy of Rhineland, and 2,104 registered Mennonite voters in the federal constituency of Lisgar. After the flag legislation, however, registered voters in Rhineland dropped to 845 and the number of registered Mennonite voters in Lisgar dropped to 769.14
In the provincial constituency of Rhineland voters continued to