|This page is a text version of the RM of Rhineland History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of the RM of Rhineland History Book
Previous - Page 199 or Next - Page 201
R.M. of Rhineland showing main roads and schools in the 1950's.
Winnipeg, a significant number migrated to area towns to find work there and stay in the community. The establishment of new businesses and industries, such as cva, provided jobs for those leaving the farm and made possible the provision of more services.
Increased road building after the war improved connections be tween the major centers and their trading areas, increasing both traffic and business. The Provincial Government took over the highway be tween Gretna and Rosenfeld, Rosenfeld and Morden, re-grading and gravelling them after the war and paving it in 1956. The municipality also built a number of all weather market roads and by 1952 had 100 miles of gravelled roads in the municipality. 36 These improved roads not only increased the trade of the major towns in the municipality, but also made possible the inauguration of bus transportation. In 1946 A. 1. Thiessen of Rosenfeld was awarded a franchise to operate a bus service between Gretna, Altona, Rosenfeld and Hopefarm and a second service between Winkler, Plum Coulee and Horndean along with daily service to Winnipeg. 37
The most important urban development in Rhineland between