|This page is a text version of the RM of Rhineland History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of the RM of Rhineland History Book
Previous - Page 223 or Next - Page 225
bridges." In 1952 the provincial government announced that $250,000 would be spent in the drainage district to increase the capacity of the Buffalo Creek Double Dyke, and throughout the 1950's the munic ipality was purchasing lands for public drains. Drainage was also improved in the southeast comer of the municipality when the elevation of the Post Road was raised and a drain cut along section 1 in township 1, range 1 east. Many of the smaller lateral drains were dug with the municipality's own drag line.
DRAINAGE DISTRICT 12
~ DOUBLE DYKES
Another of the municipality's major responsibilities and expenses after the war was the construction of all-weather roads. In some cases the municipality covered the cost of bridges and culverts while the province helped defray the cost of gravelling the roads. These market roads were often built up ward by ward. By 1957 the municipality had