|This page is a text version of the RM of Rhineland History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of the RM of Rhineland History Book
Previous - Page 224 or Next - Page 226
A.M. of Rhineland Municipal Council of 1955 with Manitoba Good Roads Assocla tion 2nd place trophy for best kept system of municipal roads.
Credit: D. K. Friesen
100 miles of gravelled roads, thirteen of which had been gravelled that year, and almost yearly Rhineland won a Good Roads Association Award.
The third major expense for the municipality were rural school districts. Not only did school expenditures increase in the 1950's, but other developments took place which placed added stress on the rural school system. According to W. L. Morton in his history of Manitoba, the elementary school system that had been created to ensure general literacy and assimilation had largely succeeded. The secondary school system that had been designed to furnish recruits for the profession had also largely fulfilled its purpose. "But these restricted ends were insufficient for the society which had come into being. "73 As society became increasingly technical, public pressures for improved second ary education grew. Rural schools were generally considered inferior to schools in urban centers, since communities with small tax bases were unable to adequately equip and staff their classrooms. 74 These concerns over the quality of educational services in Manitoba led to the creation of a Royal Commission on Education in 1957.
This Commission found, among other things, that rural commu nities needed greater assistance to diversify elementary education and provide greater opportunities for secondary education. The means to accomplish this, the Commission held, was through larger administra-