This page is a text version of the RM of Rhineland History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of the RM of Rhineland History Book

Previous - Page 228 or Next - Page 230

organized that town's first sports day in twenty years and two years later Altona held its first sports day. Altona also built a $21,000 community center and arena in 1951 and in 1950 and 1953 Rosenfeld and Plum Coulee also built indoor curling rinks.

This emphasis on recreation produced a florescence of sports activity in the area. Hockey was the most popular sport in Altona and in the 1950's its team, the Maroons, won the South Eastern Manitoba Hockey League (S.E.M.H.L.) Championship in 1952,1955, 1956 and 1960. Plum Coulee, on the other hand, excelled in baseball winning the South Central Manitoba Baseball League (S.C.M.B.L.) Championship in 1957. Curling remained the most popular social recreation in the municipality with bonspiels attracting participants from farm and town, but golf was also becoming popular and by 1952 the Oakview Golf Club, just north of Gretna, was started.

Oakview Golf Course near Gretna in the 1950's.

Credit Echo

The idea of having a golf club in the area was the brainchild of Hugh McGavin, Ed Sunquist and Bill Falk. Leasing land from Kate Klassen and operating a minuscule budget, these men started to design the golf course. In this they were aided by the availability of heavy pipeline equipment and the generous help of the R.M. of Rhineland. The early course was laid out and approved by a Scotsman, Alex (Sandy) Weir, who was a golf writer for the Winnipeg Free Press. In 1952 the course consisted of 9 holes with sand greens and by the 1970 's grass greens had been installed and a new clubhouse had been built.

These modernizing influences did not go unopposed. In 1958 a

216