|This page is a text version of the RM of Rhineland History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of the RM of Rhineland History Book
Previous - Page 229 or Next - Page 231
Municipal Council of 1950 curling. The man in the hack is Ed Pokrant, Reeve of the Municipality. He devoted his life to his family, his farming operations, his church and the community. He held the following offices: chairman of the council of St. John's Lutheran Church, Rosenfeld; Director of the Lutheran Seminary at Saskatoon for over 30 years; member of the Rosenfeld school board for many years and the Chairman for six years; councillor of the Rural Municipality of Rhineland for 28 years, and its Reeve from 1947 to 1953. He was the Chairman of the Altona District Hospital Board from the time the hospital was built in 1948 until 1968. He also served on the Bethania Hospital Board shortly after it was opened in 1936, except for a period of three years. He was one of the organizers of the Ebenezer Home for the Aged in Altona serving as Chairman and Vice-Chairman until the time of his passing in 1968. He was one of the founders or founding members of the Lower Red River Valley Water Commission established in 1958, serving as Chairman from 1960 to December 1967. He also held offices on various other boards and committees.
Credit: D. K. Friesen
split again occurred in the Sommerfelder Mennonite Church when a faction broke away and formed the new Reinlaender Mennonite Church. While the reasons for this schism were more complex, the ostensible reason given was the installation of electric lights in the Churches." Twelve of the sixteen ministers of the Sommerfelder Lehr dienst and 500 members left to form this new Reinlaender Church. The name chosen for this church, recalling the first Mennonite Church on the West Reserve, was a conscious identification with the past. Over the years this church would become the most conservative Mennonite Church in Manitoba. 85 Another indication of a reaction against modern ism was the continued popularity of revival meetings in the area. Over a