|This page is a text version of the RM of Rhineland History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of the RM of Rhineland History Book
Previous - Page 81 or Next - Page 83
This Gretna house was built at the turn of the century by Enoch Winkler and sold to Alexander Smith in 1903. He in turn left it to his son, when he married in 1920. It was here where members of Parliament and other dignitaries were entertained at social functions when the home was still in possession of the Winklers. In the early 1900's a full time gardener was in charge of the spacious lawns, shrubs and flowers.
Gretna's physical growth did not consist of only commercial establishments. By the 1890's substantial new homes were being con structed by the town's elite and serious efforts were made to improve the town's appearance and services. In 1890, 500 trees were planted in town and in 1892 a whole tent city of workers were busy improving the water line from the town's water tank to the Pembina River." By 1897 all major religious denominations, with the exception of the Mennonites, had built churches in town. (Baptist 1894, Presbyterian, Lutheran 1897, Catholic 1897.)
Because of its more heterogeneous population Gretna also took the lead in area social life. It had a widely attended fair and by 1893 a circus regularly made stops there. The Gretna chapter of the Canadian Order of Foresters regularly held dances and balls, as did the Gretna Willing Workers. Along more literary lines H. H. Ewert, the leader of the Mennonite Normal School, organized a library and literary society and