|This page is a text version of the RM of Rhineland History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of the RM of Rhineland History Book
Previous - Page 82 or Next - Page 84
Gretna Presbyterian Church. Built in 1889 this Church later also served as the Gretna United Church. It was dismantled around 1965.
started a men's choir. By 1897 Pauline Johnson had recited her poetry to Gretna audiences and a touring theatre company had performed Uncle Tom's Cabin in the town's theatre.
In sports Gretna also played a leading role. The two ice rinks were heavily utilized in the winter and in the summer the Gretna Turf Club regularly sponsored horse racing. Tennis and football (soccer) clubs were organized and by 1900 other towns in the area also had clubs. Town rivalries were played out on the football field and specially chartered passenger train cars carried spectators from one town to the other.
The big sports events of the year occurred on Empire Day (May 24) and Dominion Day (July 1). Neighbouring towns were invited to Gretna's race track for a day of horse and bicycle racing, along with football and baseball games. 39 It was a mark of Gretna's pre-eminence in the area before 1900 that surrounding towns would come to Gretna on these holidays.
This increase in sporting activity was normal for a growing Cana dian town, but a bit of an anomaly in the midst of heavy Mennonite settlement. Gretna's influence spread, however, and by 1901 even the largely Mennonite towns of Altona and Winkler had organized football