This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 126 or Next - Page 128

the train. In these coaches, beds could be made up and some cooking done. Father's tasks were not easy ones. He had to get off and buy food at the different stops. Of course, in Quebec it was almost impossible to find someone who spoke English. We were billed through to Brandon. Large buildings called Immigration sheds had been built there during "The Boom".

My father, Samuel Hall, was a brick layer by trade. Here he did plastering and stone work. In Brandon he worked on the Nunnery. This building, which has since been torn down, stood east of the present Roman Catholic Church.

Father heard that there was work in Boissevain, which had just been connected by rail to Winnipeg. With the prospect of work, father placed his tools in a basket on his back, and set out. Burdened with a heavy pair of English boots, father must have found the trip a real ordeal. Luckily someone picked him up along the way. Within a short time father met Mr. Cooper, who had a homestead on the land where John Houck now lives. Mr. Cooper had several children and was interested in starting a school. When he learned father had two children, he persuaded him to file on a homestead nearby. The law required that a payment of ten dollars be made. Besides this, the homesteader must live on the property six months of every year and break a few acres of ground.

Since all this happened when I was only four weeks old, it is difficult to give the exact details. However, someone drove father to Old Deloraine to file on the homestead. Somehow father made his way back to Brandon for us. He got Mr. Brown of Souris, who owned a team of mules, to drive us south. One night had to be spent in the road. When we came past Pringles, Mrs. Pringle put cream on our faces, which were all blistered from riding in the open. We spent a couple of weeks at Coopers. Afterwards we lived in Bob Heaslip's shanty until father could get ours built. The shanty was built of shiplap, that was covered with poplar shingles. Sods covered the outside. These sods were cut from shallow sloughs so they would be tough. Unfortunately they shrank away from the walls and let in the cold. Within a couple of years we took the sods down and reinforced the shanty with a ply of tar paper. Poor mother must have found that twelve by sixteen shanty a trial. Isn't it a wonder we did not freeze to death? All we had for heating was a cook stove and poplar wood. Mother had to learn to use a wood stove as she had always used coal in Eng­ land. As soon as the fire went out, everything froze. I remember waking up to find frost from our breath on the sheets. The first winter we were there we saw no one. We did not even get the mail for three months. Snow had to be melted both for drinking water an dwashing, The deep wells were very alkali. Of course, no one had cistern. There was no relief. Some people were known to live on wheat boiled with sugar. I don't remember being hungry,

127 ~