This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 125 or Next - Page 127

of Nichols store and post office combined. The closest doctor was at Deloraine 30 miles away. When my babies were born I never had any doctor, just a neighbor lady come. I've had thirteen child­ ren and ten are living today.

There was another store at Wakopa owned by Williamson.

They had a grist mill and we had our grain ground there. This mill consisted of two flat stones grinding together which operated by a water wheel in a creek.

I hand picked our grain in the winter, spread it out on a table and have hand picked as much as eighteen bushels during the winter. We broke thirteen acres with the oxen the first year, the field being one half mile long, he made nine rounds a day.

The mosquitoes were so bad my husband had trouble keeping the oxen from going to ponds of water, plow and all. They had to throw stones at them to get them out. When the day's work was done we'd turn the oxen out and put hobbles on them when they were feeding to keep them from straying away.

One year we had a plague of locusts which cleaned up every­ thing. To carryon we had to buy feed and seed. For a few years we were still troubled with them, until the government could get poison. To sell our grain my husband had to team the grain to Brandon.

Another item I might mention was the Fenian raid in the U.S. which meant we had to have protection, so the government had to supply us with rifle practise. I never was frightened of the Indians. I used to invite them into the house and serve them tea and something to eat and they used to like getting tobacco.

I've seen a great many changes in my life - from oxen and stone boat to cars and aeroplanes, from candlelight to electricity. (Written 1949)


On April 23, 1886, St. George's Day, we left England. Our ship was named the N est aria of the Allen Lines. It was no luxury liner. On trips to the new world it carried passengers. However, on the return trip to Europe, it carried cattle. Only a handful of salon passengers travelled on the ship.

As we left Liverpool we met our first misfortune. A barge ran into us and broke a yard arm, but soon we were able to continue.

Our ocean voyage lasted eighteen days. An early ice flow from the North made it necessary to change course and sail further south. This accounted for the longer than usual crossing time. During this time the precious water supply ran out and more had to be distilled. We also ran out of coal and anything handy was burned to keep up steam. We nassengers disembarked at Gaspe, although the boat continued on to Montreal. Once more we con­ tinued our journey. This time we travelled in colonist coaches on