This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 157 or Next - Page 159

sod stable and sod hen-house were constructed that summer and a well was dug.

After breaking the necessary five acres each, and remaining the required three months to establish claims to their homesteads everyone but John went back to Morris to take off the crop planted in the spring. It was from this crop, grown on the rented farm near Union Point that my father (then nineteen years old) claimed the distinction of delivering the first load of wheat to Ogilvie's Flour Mill in Winnipeg in September 1882. It was brought to Winnipeg by way of St. Norbert and St. Boniface with a yoke of oxen and graded No.1 hard, fetching 60c a bushel.

In December 1882, Thomas Code and his family left Morris for their new home at 10-5-21. They went again to Winnipeg and took the train to Brandon, which at that time was the end of steel. In addition to their household effects they brought three cows, together with chickens, turkeys and ducks. John was at the station to meet them, with two wagons and two yoke of oxen. Anticipating the long winter they purchased a goodly supply of groceries, including five sacks of flour. Aunt Annis, Thomas Code's eldest daughter, now 95 and living at Elgin, still remembers clearly the fifty mile trip from Brandon seventy-three years ago. The trail layover hard-packed snow four feet deep. It was cold riding so most of the time they walked. When they grew tired walking they would climb on the wagons again and ride awhile. During the two day trip one of the oxen became ill for a time so they just hitched one of the cows to the wagon instead. They spent the first night with friends on the way. The second night they stayed in James Argue's shanty six miles north of their destination. Learning of their arrival in the vicinity about nightfall Mr. Argue had promptly extended his kind hospitality. His shanty was small but warm, the wayfarers grateful. James Argue was from Peterborough, Ontario, and had taken up his homestead just six months before Thomas Code. He was their nearest neighbor at the time.

Next morning the travellers completed the last lap of their long journey from Ontario. They arrived "home" on December, 18th -just in time to get everything ready for Christmas. Mr. Argue came down to be their guest on that special day. It was a Christmas quite different from those they had known in Ontario, but it was their first Christmas in a Manitoba setting-and they enjoyed it.