This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 169 or Next - Page 171

Those halcyon days when joy was born, Or that darkest hour before the dawn, Together, you and I,

Old friends! shall we ever forget?

Ah! never while memories, sad and sweet, Come trooping past, with flying feet. Farewell? my friends, not yet, I pray, Not yet,

Thomas Ronald Robertson

MEMOIRS OF PIONEERS As remembered by J, H. Nelin

I was born at London, Ontario, and came to Manitoba in March, 1884, with my parents, brother James and two sisters, Minnie and Jessie.

Seeking for land, my father and brother had come to Manitoba in 1882, In March they arrived in Brandon where they met four other men who also were looking for land. They were told that there was good land available in the Turtle Mountain district where they decided to go. The only way to get there was to walk. Before setting out they met a man from Deloraine. He had a team of horses and sleigh and a load to take out for the Morton Dairy Company. When he was ready to leave the men joined him and walked behind the sleigh.

An earlier thaw had started the Souris River running. As the water was too deep to ford, the travellers had to detour by Souris City where they could ferry across the swollen river. (Souris City was two miles west of where Wawanesa now is.) As over a foot of snow had fallen since the thaw. the going was heavy for the men and team.

The second night out from Brandon, the party stayed at Duncan McMillan's near where Margaret is now. The following day they had dinner in James Burns' tent on the N.W. quarter of 10-4-20. Mr. Burns, too, came from London, Ontario, and when he had lived there his occupation was driving a street car with horses or mules for power. Dad was advised by Mr. Burns to homestead the south half of the section on which he was living.

After three days of plodding through snow-the snowfall that winter was ninety-eight inches-the weary men reached Mr. Hanson's farm located a few miles southwest of the present site of Whitewater. Here they spent three days until a blizzard blew itself out. When the storm was over dad went to Old Deloraine and made entry for the afore-mentioned south half of 10-4-20. Until the weather warmed up, dad and Jim boarded with Mr. and Mrs. Cumpstone on 34-2-20.

At this time Canadian Pacific Railway land had not yet been