This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 170 or Next - Page 172

put on the market but anyone was permitted to squat on the land with the option of buying it later. On the advice of Mr. Cumpstone, Jim squatted on the east half of 3-3-20. He and dad bought a yoke of oxen, a wagon, sleighs, a plow and harrows from a man named Tobias. They went to the bush and brought out logs to build a house on Jim's land. Also, logs were taken to Faxes' sawmill on 5-2-20, where they were sawn into lumber and shingles for dad's house. In the meantime the men provided themselves with a tent in which to live. With the help of neighbors it was not long until Jim had a house about sixteen by eighteen feet in dimensions. When. late in 1885, the C.P.R. evaluated their land, Jim purchased his half section at two dollars and fifty cents an acre.

Soon the men "broke" some land and on it sowed Red Fife wheat. At the first fair ever held in Southwestern Manitoba, dad was awarded first prize on a half-bushel of the wheat grown on that breaking. I do not know anything about the prize except that my dad received from the Parliament Building in Winnipeg a diploma bearing a large, red seal.

In December, 1883, my folks sold one of their oxen to a neigh­ bor. Leading the other ox which weighed one and a half tons, they walked to Brandon where they sold him to a local butcher. With the proceeds of this sale my dad and brother bought tickets to their home in Ontario.

During the winter of 1884 preparations were made for all of us to come West in the spring. Dad and Jim had bought four fine, young horses, two cows and a calf. When all was ready a car was loaded at Lucan, Ontario. The household effects were packed in the ends of the car and separated by planks from the livestock which, facing the centre of the car, stood on either side of the door. Feed for them was placed in the centre passageway. Our car was in a train consisting mainly of box cars loaded with settlers' effects and a couple of passenger coaches carrying the settlers. Our train route was by Chicago, St. Paul and Winnipeg to Brandon, where we arrived late in March. The trip of five days and five nights was long and tiresome, especially so as we sat on slat seats. In spite of the tedium everyone seemed happy.

Upon our arrival it took a few days to unload the car. Much of the household furniture and many other articles were stored. Only the immediate necessities were re-loaded, this time on two sleighs, with which we left Brandon rather late one afternoon. We expected to reach McKanlas', a stopping place nine miles out, by nightfall. A recent thaw had filled the sloughs with water. When we came to a low place through which the trail passed, dad and Jim decided to keep off the road but in spite of this precaution the horses were stuck and had to be unhitched. Fortunately, Mr. Rocky, who farmed near the present site of Desford, came along in his sleigh and took mother and my sisters to the McKanlas' stopping place. As we were not very far from Mr. Doran's, Dad and Jim took the