This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 172 or Next - Page 174

on the fields to feed. Early in the morning they flew out, returning about ten o'clock, and again about mid-afternoon they flew to the fields. From sundown until dark, they could be heard as they returned for the night to the friendly lal, e. It would be difficult to estimate the number of birds in a flig.nt, but I am sure there would be several thousands. In 1895 Jack ) ~nettle, proprietor of the Queen's Hotel, and James Steel, the blacksmith, shot fifty-five geese in one afternoon. Percy Bennett used to shoot wild fowl and ship them to Winnipeg where he received fifty cents each for geese.

On the prairies, fall seemed to come early and frequently the crops were frozen in August. When the wheat was hauled to Bran­ don all that the farmer was offered for it was about fiften to twenty cents per bushel. Fifty bushels was an average load in those days. After buying groceries and some other necessities for the home and paying the expenses of his trip the farmer did not have much money left.

Another "trip" to Brandon was that of the mail man.Mr. Sam Heaslip, who lived about five miles north of where Minto is, delivered the mail from Brandon to Deloraine and called at post offices along the route. At his home he had a post office named after himself. Other post offices were Sheppard ville on 3-5-20, where Mr. James Sheppard was postmaster, and Nimitaw on 34-3-20 where Mr. James Rae kept the office. Mr. Heaslip called at Wau­ beesh, also, and then went on to Deloraine. In summer he drove a team on a democrat and in winter his team drew a sleigh. He used to stop at our place for dinner when he was going south. At times he had passengers and light articles as well as mail, to deliver. We had one mail delivery each week.

No sooner were a few pioneers established in a district than their minds turned to community life and welfare. Rev. George Aikens with three of his brothers came from England in 1881 and homesteaded north of the present Boissevain. Rev. Aikens, of the Church of England, held services at Mr. Blackinbach's home on 31-2-20. Mr. Blackinbach played his melodian for these services. Preacher Cameron, a Presbyterian minister, whose home was a mile north of Boissevain, conducted services at Mrs. McQuire's not far from where Wapaha School is now. Rev. Stewart, a Methodist, and a school inspector in 1888, used to travel from Old Deloraine to hold services at G. C. Wright's, 22-9-20.

The first school in the district was Nimitaw, erected in 1885 on 22-3-20-one mile west of the present Boissevain. The building material used was brought from Brandon and the contractor was Mr. Wm. Lambert. After harvest the school was opened with Robert Flesher of Old Deloraine as teacher. The following were the pupils attending: Melissa King, Maud Hill, Esther Hill, Wes. Mus­ grove, Bob Robertson, Rebecca, Eva, Mina, Fred and Edgar J ohn­ son, Lena, Bob and Ada Cook, Janet and Jim Rae, and myself. Later,

-173-