This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 171 or Next - Page 173

horses and cattle there and we men-folk, too, spent the night there. Although that was seventy-two years ago I well remember what a kindly person was Mr. Doran's sister who kept house for him. I remained in the house with her until our outfit was ready to move on the next day. It took the men until noon to unload the sleighs, haul them out of the slush and re-Ioad.

Continuing our trek we reached McKanlas' where we remained for the night as the road was too bad for us to go farther. The following day we had dinner at Seafoot's, a few miles north of the Souris River. Fearing we might have trouble, Mr. Seafoot came with us in case we needed help. It was very kind of him to accompany us as he had to walk home. At Sheppard's ferry, about a quarter of a mile east of where Number 10 Highway now crosses the river, the water was running a foot deep on the ice. About the time we arrived at the river snow began to fall. It must have con­ tinued to fall all night for the snow was deep in the morning.

The next night found us staying at Thomas Little's, a few miles south of the Souris River. The snow was too deep for the cattle which had been plodding behind the sleighs. So we left them with Mr. Little until later in the spring. By another night we had arrived at Hammond's on 34-4-20. After being stuck once on a slough not very far from where Orthez is now, we had dinner the next night at Frank Howell's on 14-4-20. At that time, Mr. and Mrs. Burns and daughter, Polly, were living with Frank until they got their house built.

On the fifth evening out from Brandon, dad and Jim arrived at the later's farm but mother, the girls and I did not reach there until the following afternoon. Our teams had been stuck again in a slough near what was Peter Henderson's farm-the east half of 34-3-20. Mr. Sandy Cameron who had come along with his team and sleigh, had taken us back to his homestead, the north half of 4-4-20, and on the next afternoon had brought us out to Jim's. Here, William and James Patterson, along with dad and Jim, were busy making an upstairs floor in the house in which we were to live until dad's house was finished.

We had come to our new home about the first of April and the Manitoba spring was with us. The weather was warm and it was not very long until the snow disappeared and the crocuses bloomed. On the vast stretches of unbroken prairie these flowers made a thick mauve carpet. Later the wild fruit-strawberries, saskatoons, black currants, gooseberries, cherries and cranberries-came out in bloom. The wild fruit was abundant in pioneer days.

Wild game, too, was plentiful. Prairie chicken, grouse, ducks, geese, wild turkeys, partridge and cranes were numerous. Their meat was certainly enjoyed in the spring and fall. When the geese came down from the north-usually about the middle of September -they would stay on Whitewater Lake. Twice daily they went out