This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 196 or Next - Page 198

declared the winner. The barn raising over, all that was left to do was to fill one's stomach at the well-laden tables. As far as we know this barn is still standing, a tribute to those early settlers' ingenuity.

In 1899 the homestead was sold and the following spring another farm was purchased northeast of town. This farm boasted a large roomy house and huge barn. Directly under the feed room in the barn was a deep cistern. One winter afternoon someone left the door open and thr-ee cows crowded into the feed room looking for extra grain. There was a terrific crash and three cows were in the cistern. Neighbors were hastily summoned by excited kids riding pell mell around the country side. A hoist was built and a cow at a time was slowly brought to the surface. Miraculously the two on top were still alive but the bottom one was quite dead. The culprit who left the door ajar was never discovered.

Sinclair and Joe Brown did the threshing for the neighborhood.

In threshing oats, the straw had to be saved for feed and this meant that a stack must be built as the straw was delivered from the carrier. As the Brown boys owned a horse that had had a lot of experience in this work they always brought him along when stacking was to be done. As each new layer of straw was added the horse circled around to press it into place. It was jolly fun when one was chosen to be the rider. At noon time a generous feed of oats was passed up for Dobbin. With the job completed the horse slid down the stack's side to safety.

By 1905 dad was ready to expand his farming operations and the farm was traded on a full section southwest of town. Known throughout the district as the "Dingle" it was the site of many a good picnic by church and civic bodies alike. It was here that my father came into his own as a farmer. With a good supply of water he branched out into raising horses, cattle and hogs as well as wheat.

Each year saw a goodly number of these commodities mar­ keted. A team of high-stepping Hackney mares was my father's pride and joy. During this time he served as a trustee on the Blue­ vale School Board. About this time dad decided to purchase a threshing outfit and for the next few years threshing was done for the Peacocks, Thompsons, Jenkins and others. Billy Nixon and John Peacock fed the grain into the separator by hand. Dan Morrish drove a grain wagon year after year. Johnnie Opperman served faithfully and well. Throughout the years crops were good and a fair price obtained. In 1909 the farm was sold to a neighbor, Dougal ,Taylor, for $36.00 an acre.

In the fall of that year our family left for Vancouver to begin a new life on the Pacific coast.

During their lifetime my mother and father were devout Chris­ tians and staunch supporters of the Methodist and United Church. As a member of the church's official board and as a local preacher, dad served as best he knew.