This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 195 or Next - Page 197

domain. This was indeed a case of the mole carrying the mountain. In any event a homestead and pre-emption was secured in section 16-3-19.

He returned to Ontario and the Michigan lumber woods for the winter. It was not until the following spring that a car load of settler's effects was shipped from Ontario and farming begun in earnest. A sod shack and stable were built with a lot of back breaking labor. A few acres of land were broken and seeded to wheat. The first crop was badly frozen, and the grain dealers in Brandon refused to buy the grain. Completely discouraged and out of funds, my father was about ready to quit when a Brandon store keeper offered to take his frozen grain and gave him a grub stake for the coming winter. The next year's crop was much better.

On December 3rd, 1884, my father married Elizabeth Ann Mus­ grove, daughter of an early pioneer. In January of '87 my oldest brother arrived. The nearest doctor lived in Deloraine and the weather was 20 below. A neighbor, Tom Buck, who owned the only team of driving horses in the district, volunteered to bring the doctor. It was acts of kindness such as this that cemented the lives of these early pioneers. In the summer of '87 a disastrous prairie fire detroyed the stable and winter's feed. Despite these setbacks my father was slowly forging ahead. The neighbors in those days included such names as Holmes, Oke, Pugsley, Crummer, McIntosh, McAvoy, Cottingham, Musgrove, Buck and McAllister.

The social life of the community was amusing and varied.

Parties and dances were held in the neighbors' homes. At these functions my father contributed his bit as an old time fiddler and singer of songs. In later years it was our delight to have him give us a repeat performance.

In the spring of '98 it was decided a frame barn should be built.

A large pile of native stone was collected. Logs were hauled from the nearby Turtle Mountains which would eventually form the frame work for the new barn. Stone masons arrived who split the stones into various sizes and laid them into the foundation and walls to make the lower portion of the building, Next came the framers who shaped the logs into timbers with mortise and tenon joints properly arranged. When all was in readiness the neighbors were invited to the barn raising. In a matter of hours timbers were raised and set in their proper places. Stout pegs were hammered into the waiting holes, braces were adjusted and the frame work of the new barn stood naked before our eyes. All that remained was to put the rafters in place. This always called for a contest. Captains were chosen who in turn selected the men who would work in their team. The women, who up until this time had been busy in the kitchen, gathered round and lustily cheered their favorite competitors. The team which was first to complete the job and reach the ground was