This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 213 or Next - Page 215

Mrs. Dickson enjoyed visiting her neighbors, and did so in a cart driven by an ox. In winter she used a stone boat drawn by the same ox, Old Tom.

In 1895 one of the most tragic incidents of the small settlement occurred. A neighboring settler, Mr. Robinson, on S.W. 30-4-20, had taken his small daughter to the barn to do the chores. Completing the chores, they found a raging blizzard outside. Mr. Robinson attempted to go to the house, carrying the little girl on his back. Hours later he arrived at John Brown's shanty on N.E. quarter 32-3-20. The child had perished during the storm.

By 1904, with a very good set of buildings, Mr. Dickson felt pioneer days were far outdistanced. He had built a large frame house in 1897 and a barn in 1903. He erected a Massey Harris power mill with a twelve foot wheel mounted on a wooden tower. This machine pumped water and with a strong wind supplied the neces­ sary power to operate a four inch plate chopper. This dispensed with the long trip to Boissevain to crush grain.

, Mr. Dickson's family consisted of three children, Glen, Joyce and Claude, who passed away in 1921. Mr. Dickson, along with Mrs. Dickson, retired to Boissevain in 1915.

WILLIAM STOVIN

William Stovin with his family came from Sheffield, England, by sailing ship in the year 1878-79, and settled near Emerson by the Red River. After remaining five years, due to the big flood of 1882, he decided to move west, and took up a homestead on 32-1-22, located southeast of Deloraine. This long, slo wtrip was made by oxen.

Winnipeg then was made up of about two dozen buildings which included the odd store, a few houses, and shanties. There were, however, many teepees which helped to broaden the future capital of Manitoba.

William was an architect so his assistance was often sought in the planning of new buildings. Several of the important buildings of that time were planned by him, while he lived near Winnipeg.

Brandon was the nearest town when the Stovins first settled on 32-1-22, but Old Deloraine soon became a fair sized village and a very busy one, as it was the land office for the Turtle Mountain area. Pioneers from every direction flocked to this point in 1882-83 to file homesteads. Some mad the trip with oxen, some by horse, but many travelled on foot.

To the west of the Stovin homestead is an Indian reserve, where a few families still live, remnant of the Sioux tribe that crossed the boundary from the United States after the Custer Massacre at Little Big Horn on June 25, 1876, in Montana. The chief of this

-214-