This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 216 or Next - Page 218

other children were born. The third child, Thomas, not liking the farm, left home at the age of fourteen to take up wagon making, and later to become a carpenter in Lucan. He married Dianna McCann in 1862. Four sons, Alfred, Cambridge, Seymour, and Russell were born to Thomas and Dianna there. About 1870, the family moved to Moncton, where Mr. Fox operated a shingle mill. Here, two other sons, Frank and Arthur, were born. When the mill burned in 1874, the family moved to Windsor where Etta and Oscar were born.

Leaving his wife and family in Windsor, Mr. Thomas Fox came to Winnipeg in 1878 where he plied his trade as a contractor and builder. He sent for his family the next year. They came through Minnesota by train drawn by an old wood-burner which had to be refuelled every few miles from piles of cord wood along the track.

In the spring of 1880, the whole family came west up the Assini­ boine River from Winnipeg, accompanied by Tom's brother, James, and his nephew, John Armitage, Margaret Fox's son. The party left the boat at Milford, the junction of the Souris and Assiniboine, about two miles east of the present site of Treesbank. Here they were joined by John Blanchard, who had intended going to Rapid City originally. From Milford the party could see the Turtle Moun­ tains to the south and headed for this landmark with two yoke of oxen and a pony. They were fourteen days travelling the fifty miles from Milford to the edge of the bush to the farm now owned by Frank Kingdon. There was not a trail to be seen anywhere except the old Commission Trail.

Mr. J. P. Alexander, who lived near the present site of Wakopa, had squatter's rights to a shanty at Wood Lake. This, he allowed the Fox family to occupy. They moved in, in May 1880. The shanty was a squat structure only seven logs high with a sod roof. During heavy rains, sheets had to be hung under the roof to keep the water off the beds. All supplies had to be brought over the Commission Trail from Nelsonville, near the present site of Morden.

While Mr. Fox returned to Winnipeg to wind up his business, Alfred, who had been clerking in Winnipeg, went to Wood Lake to build a log house for the family. This log house was ten logs high with a small upstairs. When Mr. Fox returned from Winnipeg, he operated a sawmill two miles northeast of Lake Max. People came many miles for lumber, so that most of the lumber that was used for building in the district came from this mill.

While the older boys and Mr. Fox operated the mill, the younger boys roamed the prairie with their guns. They killed all kinds of wild fowl and sampled the flesh of practically every animal on the prairie, including skunk and muskrat. They cooked the fowl in Indian fashion by rolling them, feathers and all, in clay, and cooking them over the coals of the camp fire. They often spent several days at a time at some Indian camp where they learned many Indian customs.

-217-