This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 219 or Next - Page 221

He held services in a small log house belonging to Mr. Fleming and every other Sunday the house was packed with 60-70 people. Some walked, some came in buckboards and others drove a yoke of oxen on wagons. In those days nearly everyone came out to church one way or another.


I, R. F. Chapman, was born in Yorkshire, England, September 17, 1865, and came with my parents, brothers and sisters, to Canada at the age of five, and settled in Richmond Hill, north of Toronto. My mother died shortly and four children were taken in by different families. r was adopted by James Harmon. father of Lindsay and Frank. I had very little schooling, and worked hard as a little boy. After I listened to people talking about the West r wished very much to go.

r left Ontario at the age of seventeen, via Port Huron, through Minnesota to Moorhead, where r caught a wagon train to Winnipeg, in December, 1882. They were wrecking a big log and plastered 'huilding where the City Hall now stands, and r got work there . . ~ worked all that winter and summer until June, '83, when I got in IjlJith Ab Houck, Johnnie Powers and a couple of others who got loonies to ride and pull the cart with belongings. We set out for Old Deloraine, about four miles southeast of the present town. With iSuns, a sack of flour and some pork, we managed to eat. I shot ducks, made fire in the open and cooked food. We fishedwhen we could at Killarney Lake.

As a man had not fulfilled his homestead duties, I got a quarter "iection, 24-4-19. Five acres had been broken but had been left. The iand at that time was staked with stakes three feet high with Roman numerals to mark section, township and range. I could not read the Roman numerals so had to get the information from Mr. Flesher, the land agent. I was too young by law to take a homestead, but the agent must have thought r looked capable as he gave me the right to go ahead. We had travelled west from Winnipeg on the Old Com­ mission Trail. There was a stopping house at Wakopa. After staking my land, I went back to Emerson where r worked the rest of the year. I had been given a six months' extension so r had to be back on my homestead by February l st, 1883. I bought a yoke of oxen from a Mr. Gunn of Birds Hill. I also bought a wagon, set of harness, sleighs, two tents (12 x 14) for self and for oxen. A carpenter fixed lumber to line up the wall of tent and for floor boards-he made a bunk out of some boards. I got a sheet iron stove and pipes, a few dishes, quilts, blankets and cooking utensils; some flour, half side of pig.

I went to the Canadian Pacific Railway to see if I could get a -220-