This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 220 or Next - Page 222

car. Other settlers were going west so my things were taken along to Brandon in January, 1883.

On arrival I loaded everything in the sleigh (left wagon at hotel livery barn) and started on my way south. I got out as far as Cleveland's stopping house not far from Lake Clementi the first day. Next day I travelled to four miles north of the Souris River and stopped the night at Wm. English's stopping house.

Climbing up the Souris Hill, I overtook a team of oxen, and hitched my team ahead to help those travellers get their load up the hill. They were Dune and Pete Henderson and their sister, who later became Mrs. W. A. Latimer. We finally arrived at Sam Heaslip's stopping place and stayed overnight.

Mr. Heaslip directed me to my land. I had put an old buffalo head on the post so I could identify it by that as well as the numbers. I arrived on homestead about noon. Mr. Heaslip had given me wood so upon arrival, I set up oxen tent and stove so I could boil water to freeze the tent pegs into the snow. I shovelled snow off the ground where my tent was to be, got floor boards down, wall boards in, and a ridge pole just steep enough to run the water off. I banked it up all around with snow.

I bought hay from Bill Long, $20.00 a ton. Bill lived north three miles. He gave me some oats and some potatoes. I got wood west of where Margaret is now, at the Souris River, and green logs to build a log shanty with sad roof. The barn was all sad with pole supports. These I built the first summer.

Spring came early and I got started to break the land. I spent all summer and winter 1883 at the homestead. In the fall of '83, a Frenchman by name of George Street who had a portable engine and separator wanted a team to haul his machine. I had back­ setting done and no money so I went with George Street to thresh. I got $2.50 a day to buck straw and move the engine. Threshing was $20.00 a set (two stacks). I went threshing about September 10th and got home the 7th of November. I had $90.00 from work. Tom Ham­ mond and wife Jane homesteaded just one and a half miles west of me. Sam Moore came about May, 1883, as did Dave Pringle and son. William Hall came in '84. Dick Oliver lived two and one half miles north and Jim Johnson was near him.

Dick and I worked together a lot, breaking, haying and getting wood. In 1884, I sowed a bit of wheat and some oats, and more potatoes and a few other vegetables. I shot ducks, geese, and snow birds which were delicious fried after a diet of salt pork. During the year '84 I poisoned and trapped about forty faxes. On October 25th, Dick Oliver and I loaded in bags two loads of wheat and started for Brandon. It started to snow before we got to the river; heavy wet snow. There were thirteen teams of oxen and one team of horses waiting at the river. They were afraid to descend the hill because of the slippery snow. We put a big rope around the axle