This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 237 or Next - Page 239

ouilrof poplar. The latter burned on February 28, 1938. The first school district to be organized was at Mountainside. School was held in the Andrew Whiteman house for the first year with Katie Mannix as teacher.

The first church services were held in the aforementioned oak shanty, being conducted by a budding English church clergyman, although the congregation consisted of all Presbyterians. It is not recorded as to whether he thought they needed evangelizing or whether he just needed someone on whom he could practice. An amusing, although somewhat disconcertaing episode happened one Sunday. The preacher was in the middle of his discourse when a very long and prolonged snore broke the silence. He looked quickly around his congregation but they all seemed to be wide awake. He was greatly puzzled and tangled up his discourse somewhat, to the amusement of the congregation who were quite aware that the snore had come from a big, black dog which was asleep under the home-made table that the preacher was using for a desk.

The following year, William Patterson, a Presbyterian student from the north of Ireland was sent to this field. He conducted services at six different stations, three each Sunday from east of Wakopa to Uries on the west. In the spring, when the creeks were high, he generally went barefoot in order to keep his footwear dry, putting on his boots as soon as he came in sight of a station. Rev. Patterson was later called to Cooks Church, Toronto, which he filled to overflowing. From there he went to Philadelphia, where he was in charge of the Wanamakers Church, one of the largest in the United States.

Some years ago when in Winnipeg, Rev. Patterson decided to visit the scenes of his early missionary endeavors. He called at the manse at Deloraine and the minister there at the time rounded up as many old timers as possible and a most memorable evening was spent by all present.

After Turtle Mountain was added to the province of Manitoba the first municipality was organized in 1881, the first reeve (warden in those days) was Finley Young, later Senator Young. The coun­ cillors were: Johnnie Coulter, Wakopa; Jimmie Buyers, Desford; Wm. Patterson, Assessor; and A. C. Young, treasurer. The boundary of the municipality was practically the same as the electoral con­ stituency of Souris.

The first fall the Norquay government was in power, thinking that some of the settlers might not be well enough provided for for the winter, they sent out circulars to all municipalities saying they did not want anyone to suffer, and that if the councillors would send In the names of all who needed help they would see what could be done. When the letter was read Finley Young suggested the best thing to do would be to send in the voters list as every­ one was in the same boat.

-238-