This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 238 or Next - Page 240

The growth of the settlement during 1880 andd881 wascom­ partively slow. Among the earlier arrivals were the twoDawsons, Jack Taylor, John Scott, the two Whitemans, Ambrose Taylor, Tom Turnbull, Jack Bell, the Jones, the Morrisons, Bob Russel and

several others . . ... ..

The real rush began in 1882 and a continuous.streamof horne­ steaders could be seen along the Boundary Commission Trail, making for the old log land office that had been established in the

valley below Rentons. ..

Believed written by Jim Fleming, 1936.


Francis W. Latimer came to this district in July '1889, taking up a homestead on the S.W. 28-3-20.

His first two crops were hailed out, necessitating the finding of other means of getting some capital. Taking his ox team he obtained work with a farmer near Brandon where he earned the then large sum of $100, but which unfortunately he was never able to collect.

For the next several years he batched on the homestead, his favorite meal consisting of bread and canned tomatoes, a large can of that vegetable costing ten cents.

Like many young men of the time, he ended his batching days when he made a trip back East in 1896 returning with Elizabeth

Ann Cavanaugh of Pakeriharnas his bride: ,

In common with the rest of the pioneers he" made idaily trips to the bush for wood, rising at 4 a.m., making the trip of twelve to fourteen miles each way and cutting his load.

Blizzards in those days were a particular hazard as there were few dwellings, only trails for roads, and no fences or telephone lines as guides. The storms created many anxious moments for Mrs. Latimer as she never knew where he might get lost or have to stay with someone along the road; Belonging to a family of nine and never having stayed alone at night, she was-very fearful during one bad storm to hear a knock at the door, butvery relieved upon opening it to find it was Mr. Latimer who had been forced to turn back home on account of the storm.

Mr. Latimer was one of those who drew stone for the building of the Methodist Church, now United, in 1893. The quarry being south of Boissevain on the Houlden farm.

He was an ardent church-goer, going every Sunday with the horse and buggy, the heavy attendance necessitating going early to ensure getting a seat.

While on the farm as well as after retiring to Boissevain in 1910 Mr. Latimer was a good sport and an enthusiastic game hunter, During the season he was a familiar sight with his twelve gauge