This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 36 or Next - Page 38

The first wedding in the church was that of Miss Clara Deacon who was married to Mr. John Bulloch on July 30, 1919.

In 1925 when church union was voted upon, the congregation voted to continue with the Presbyterian Church in Canada. This church held its golden anniversary in 1956: fifty years of holding forth the Word of Life.

OLD WAKOPA (1877 LaRIVIERE)

In the fall of 1876 B. B. LaRiviere went on a hunting trip to the Turtle Mtns. and Whitewater Lake from his home at Nelsonville, North of the present day Morden. He was accompanied by his son­ in-law, Lee Severene, and two other companions. Although it was called a "hunting trip," he was mixing business with pleasure. Being of an enterprising nature, the possibility of setting up a store near the old Turtle Hills, in advance of the settlers, was uppermost in his mind. He knew the needs of the pioneers would be many; and to be established and in position to supply their wants would net him neat dividends.

Each rider of the party had his own pack horse, as they did not plan to return to Nelsonville for several weeks. They followed the Commission Trail, and on nearing the timber line of the Turtle Mtns., came to the R.N.W. Mounted Police Fort, short of where the Missouri Fur Trail branches off South to St. Louis. No one was in the building, but they could see it was being used as a stopping place. Continuing on, they came to a spot about a mile beyond the Fort, which they noted had been used by many campers. There were many rings of stones which LaRiviera knew were used by Indians to hold down their tents, in years gone by. This location was in the elbow of Long River, and he felt that this was the ideal site for his store. After two weeks of hunting bear in the mountains, and geese of Whitewater Lake, they returned home.

He spent the winter of 1876-77 preparing for his venture, and early the following spring set off for the Turtle Mtns. with several wagon loads of supplies and about twenty cattle. By the late spring he had built both his house and store on either side of the Commis­ sion Trail, which, was later to become the Main. St. of La Riviere, as the village was then known. A few years later it was renamed "Wakopa" by an old Indian Chieftain, who thought a lot of the store-keeper-the translation being "White father."

In the following spring of '78, Johnny, Henry and Tom Coulter, William Henderson, Finley Young, Donald and Fred, Robert Cowan and Wier settled in the district.

During the winter of '79 and '80, Harrison Bros. and Williams built a grist mill and saw-mill. They were in full operation when the spring breakup came, both being powered by water wheels. The stones for the grist mill came from France in 1878. Billy Weir

-37-