This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 35 or Next - Page 37

E. Bell and Miss Jane McKnight. The first elders of the church were W. U. Wade and J. Fisher.

NINGA PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

The building of the Presbyterian Church at Ninga was begun at September 1905, when the sod was turned and the foundation laid. It was completed the following spring. The opening and dedication service was held on March 25, 1906 with Rev. Sinclair, Winnipeg, guest speaker and Rev. McBain as first minister of the new church.

The church was built by Mr. Robert Johnstone, and the masonry and brickwork done by Lucas and Tripp. The lumber was procured through the Kilgour and Smith Lumber Company, who also supplied the solid oak pews.

The Presbyterian congregation was organized a decade before the turn of the century, holding services in the Baptist church at Ninga until their own church was built. During the early years before the church was built, Rev. Mr. Forsythe was minister for a number of years taking the services at Ninga and two other points:

Llyonshall and Burnside. Before holding services in the Baptist church, the Methodist and Presbyterian congregations held cottage services together on Sundays, being served by visiting ministers of both denominations alternately,

The elders and managers of the early days in the Presbyterian Church were: William Nay, Thomas Mackintosh, Thomas Hill, Nor­ man Forsyth, Robert Johnstone, Joseph Kilgour and W. Mitchell. Mrs. Mackintosh and Mrs. Wilkins were president and secretary of the Ladies Aid. The church was filled on Sundays and the family pew was an institution that was much in evidence.

Early Elevators, Boissevain - Photo courtesy E. I. Dow

- 36-