This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 39 or Next - Page 41

The beginning of the 20th century saw the organization of a one­ room school and the building of a Presbyterian Church, this being the present United Church. The first Fairfax school district was formed by taking parts of Gilead, Plainville and St. Lukes districts. Later, the present Consolidated District was formed, taking in Plainville and St. Lukes districts and part Gilead district.

MARGARET DISTRICT-I880-ISOO

What is now known as the Margaret District, was originally the school districts of Greenfield, Landvale, Pinkham and Harmony, each school being the centre of a small community, but with the coming of the railway in 1898, the village of Margaret became the centre of the larger district.

The 25th day of July, 1880, saw the arrival of the first home­ steaders, Duncan and Hugh McMillan of Woodville, Ontario, having travelled from Winnipeg with two Red River carts drawn by oxen and loaded with supplies. By chance, they met William and Lachlan McKellar of Glencoe, Ont., on the North bank of what was later to be known as Langs Valley. After spending the night together, they crossed the valley and came out on the open plain to the South. Duncan McMillan decided on the Northwest % of 22-5-18 as a home­ stead, and Hugh McMillan the S.E. % 28-5-18, both within about a mile of what was to be the site of the present village of Margaret. The McKellars located about two miles to the north and west, in what was to become the Pinkham district.

While the four men mentioned were the first settlers in the area, they were soon followed by others, and within three or four years quite a number had come in.

To settle in the Greenfield district were: John Magwood, Robt.

Nixon, John GorJay, O. Alton, J. Kinnear, H. Cline, D. McDougall, Wm. Robertson, Wm. McFadden, "\Vm. Irvine, Harry Watson, John Garbutt and Duncan Muir.

In the Langvale district, there were: Jas. and Geo. Lang, Alex Bissett, Geo. Bissett, David Black, Wm. Coulthard, R. Both, H. Booker and J as. Dalgleish.

In the Pinkham district were: Jas. Muir, Peter Munroe, D. King, Jas. Robertson, John Hettle, Thos. Clarke, John Reekie, Wm. Reekie, Wm. Patton, Robt. Drysdale, Jas. Heaslip, Jas. Fleming and Chas" Walkinshaw.

In the Harmony district, the settlers were: Wm. Long, D. Fitz­ patrick, F. Fitzpatrick, Wm. McGuire, Alex Mitchell, Robt. Mitchell, Andrew Mitchell, Wm. McDougall and Thos. Monk.

The first few years in the district followed the pattern peculiar to pioneer life in the West. There was very little money. Lumber, if it could be procured, had to be hauled long distances, so that many of the first buildings were made of sod, however the majority of the

-40-