This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 40 or Next - Page 42

buildings were of log construction, the logs being hauled from the Souris River Valley, or Langs Valley.

Oxen were the general source of power used on the land, and the small acreage grown the first year or two had to be harvested by hand. Until the coming of the C.P.R. to the South in 1885, any saleable grain had to be hauled to Brandon, a distance of some forty miles. As the crop acreage increased, the problem of getting it threshed became very acute. Threshing machines were very scarce and often the work would continue on into the winter, and some­ times grain would stand in the stacks till the following spring. In an effort to solve the problem, a number of farmers in the south part of the area formed a syndicate and purchased a threshing outfit, however owing to a combination of unfortunate circum­ stances the venture did not prove to be a happy one.

The building of Greogories' Flour Mill on the Souris Rive,r about six miles north of the present site of Margaret village, pro­ vided a limited market for wheat, and a convenient source of flour for the few years it was in operation. This mill was operated by water power developed by the building of a mud dam across the river.

The Post Office of Millford, which was situated at the junction of the Souris and Assiniboine Rivers, about thirty miles to the Northeast, was the first Post Office to serve the area. Supplies were also brought in from this point after having been brought from Winnipeg by boat up the Assiniboine River. After the coming of the Railway to the South, Langvale Post Office was opened with Jas. Lang as Postmaster, mail being brought in twice weekly by horse and buggy from Ninga. A few years later the Post Office of Margaret was opened with John Magwood in charge. Mr. Mag. wood held this position until he retired some forty years later; he also selected the name of the village, Margaret being the name of Mrs. Nixon, one of the first women of the district.

In spite of the fact that money was scarce, and building supplies had to be hauled long distances, the settlers were not long in making provisions for schools. Pinkham school was built in 1884, Geo. Lang being the first teacher. Greenfield and Langvale were built in 1885, Miss J. Sproule being the first Greenfield teacher. Harmony was built a few years later.

\. The first religious services held in the district were conducted in the home of Hugh McMillan, in June 188l. As no women had come in at this date, the congregation consisted of seven men. These men were: Duncan McMillan, Hugh McMillan, Wm. and Lachlan McKellar, John Magwood, Robert Nixon and William Robertson. The minister was a young student travelling through the country, holding services wherever he could get a few people together.

With the building of the schools, which provided community centres, regular services for the summer months at least were pro-

-41-