This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 45 or Next - Page 47

r.he first white baby, South of Minto, was a daughter to Mr. and Mrs. Jas. Graham, Nov. '81. In our district, John Fleming was born March 27th, '82, son of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Fleming, 12-6-19, now residing at Fort Maclead, Alberta.

The first wedding in the district was that of Alice King and Wm. McKellar, who were married by Rev. Lantrow, March 18th, '85, at the home of her father, David King, 6-6-18; and the first death was that of Delbert Heaslip, June 11th, '83. He was the three year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. S. A. Heaslip.

Many stories could be told of these times; such as the time Jack Fleming set his bread and, next day, carried it a distance of about two miles to be baked in Laughie McKellar's oven; of the time Bob Campbell was patching his pants, when a prairie fire broke out and, in his excitement, he used the pants to beat the fire; and when the fire was out, all he had left was the waistband. He had to borrow a pair of pants from a neighbor.

"Timmis" was the first cat in the district. He was brought from Crystal City by the McKees, and, being a good mouser, he was loaned around from McKellars and Kings on the East to Frasers and Tweedies on the West.

Baseball was played at all the picnics, and Dave Hainstock used to catch behind the bat barehanded.

One of the means of travel in those days was an ox, hitched to the stone boat with a box or wash tub for a seat.

Though no one would, perhaps, care to re-live those days of privation and hardship, still, for the pioneers who experienced them, they provided a "yardstick" whereby they could measure all future progress toward modern living, as we know it today.

Margaret McKee

EARL Y HISTORY OF OLD ROWLAND

This information is supplied by Seymour Haight, the last living son of a family of four boys of George and Nancy Haight, together with the kindly assistance of Mr. Freeman Ferries, both living in Vancouver, B.C. Seymour is 92 years young, has all his faculties, keen of mind, body and spirit.

The Rowland district had its early beginning in the year 1881 and 1882 situated on S.W. corner of S.W. quarter 10-4-18, and across the road on N.W. Quarter 3-4-18, where old basements and wells can still be found. The townsite was located here owing to a survey for a proposed railway to Brandon, and was named Rowland by Mr. George Haight on account of the rolling contour of the surrounding country-side. At that time it consisted of a Post Office, Mr. George Haight as first postmaster; a store managed by Hugh McKellar with Bob Rogers as silent owner, who later became Honourable Robt.

-46-