This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 44 or Next - Page 46

For the first election there was only one polling place, and some of the voters lived more than 30 miles from the poll, which was on section 28-5-18. We were in Marton Municipality from '91 until '97, when Whitewater Municipality was formed.

One of the first elections was held in '82, when Mr. Hugh Sutherland was elected to the Dominion House, he being the first advocate of the Hudson Bay Railway. Open voting was used at elections in those days.

The first mail came up in the Assiniboine River by boat from Winnipeg to Milford, a distance of about forty mlies from here. Then, in '82 it came to Langvale. In '83 S. A. Heaslip, N.E. 32-5-19, opened a post office and store. He also ran a stage from Brandon to Old Deloraine.

In '82, the first church services were held in the different homes, then later, services were held in the schools. Mr. John Stewart, a Presbyterian, was the first minister.

In the spring of '83, school was started in Heaslip's granary, with Miss Smith in charge. That summer, Mr. Duncan Gordon built the present Riverside School, and the following year he taught there.

In '83, the first picnic was held at Fleming's Crossing, N.W. 12-6-19, which later developed into an annual event, and was looked forward to with much interest from year to year. Some people came long distances to take part in sports, or to renew old acquaintances.

Mrs. Duncan McMillan (12-5-18) had one of the first organs, which was used at all the affairs, being taken to Riverside School for a concert, also to a picnic at Fleming's Crossing.

The first houses were made of logs, the roof made of poles and sods, or thatched. The stables were mostly made of sods. Bob Camp­ bell's thatched roof took fire from the stove pipe and burned the house down in March '84.

Mr. Howard cut part of his crop in '81 with a butcher knife and shelled it in the house. In '81, Mr. Fleming's crop of over twenty acres was cut with a cradle by myuncle Tom McKee, and bound by hand by Mr. Tom Wood and was threshed with a flail.

About all the implements that were used were the walking plow, harrow and wagon. The grain was sown by harid and harvested, in '81, with a cradle, in '82 with a cradle and reaper. In '83, binders came in; one was a wire binder. The price of a 7-ft. binder, without a bundle carrier, was $360.00.

The first crops were threshed by horse power. The grain was hauled to Brandon, which meant a three day trip with oxen, or two days if horses were used. They crossed the Souris River on Shep­ pard's Ferry, which was started in the spring of '82, a little east of the present No. 10 Highway; and Heaslip's Ferry, which was started in '83 at what is known as Fleming's Crossing.