This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 48 or Next - Page 50

Photographer Meirs visits Henderson Bros. threshing outfit in the Caranton district northwest of Boissevain 1887 - Courtesy W. D. Henderson, Brandon

In looking back over the experiences of those early days, we who today live in our good homes with electric light and appli­ ances, telephone, radio, television, cars and tractors, our highways and market roads, should stop and pay tribute to the fortitude, perseverance, the high hopes, farsightedness and many heart-aches of the pioneer men and women who laid the foundation for all the privileges we enjoy today.

Allen J. Haight

WHITEWATER

In the late 1890's and early 1900's Whitewater consisted of five elevators, built in the following order: Morton No.2, later known as the "King Coal" elevator, so named after the fellow who was grain, buyer, John Brondgeest, who had been given that nickname. Then followed Dominion Grain, Lake of the Woods, the Imperial. Imperial had a lumber yard which also housed Bill Hanley's butcher shop, the beef being killed at Boissevain. Sid Fyson, employed by Hanley, drove a meat van throughout the district at this time. A large general store, operated by George Morton, with living quar­ ters above, did a big business. He also had a boarding house of con­ siderable size. Tom Sheppard and Son had the John Deere and McCormick machinery agency. Billy Scott apparently had an interest in this agency for a short time.

-49-