This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 49 or Next - Page 51

The blacksmiths were Billy Scott, Cam Frazer, and Bill Rolston, who had opened the first shop.

North of the townsite, on the N.W. quarter of 17-3-21 a brick yard was located, the product being of excellent quality. W. Barker was the operator and employed between thirty and forty men. A fellow by the name of Hyman was foreman.

Waubeesh, one and a half miles S.E. of Whitewater, was home­ steaded by John Brondgeest in 1881, and became quite a settlement. There was a store, a post office called Turtle Mountain, a black­ smith shop, a grist mill that never ground any grain, and a building for a printing press, but the press was never installed.

Jack Livingston drove the stage coach and carried the mail from here to Brandon.

With the C.P.R., which was put through to Deloraine in 1886, running two miles North, the little settlement was abandoned.

The post office was moved to the Robert Scott farm, two miles south of Whitewater.

A freight car was used for a station, with an agent only during the busy season. Gus Westagreen was the first section foreman. This was the start of Whitewater.

Some of the settlers in the early 1880's were: the Hazelwoods, Jake Smith, Lon Jones, Scotts, Lampmans, Turnbulls, Kellers, Hut­ tons, McGregors, Hansons and Charlie Hunt, closely followed by the Rombaughs, Jones brothers, and Tom Robertson. Farther South at Mountainside were the Flemings, Dougalls, John Bells, and the Shepherds.

George Morton, for whom the municipality was named, had a sawmill at Lake Max and he had lumber hauled to Whitewater for the first elevator, store and boarding house in 1888. The post office was moved here at this time.

Fred Peters, who came to run the store for George Morton, later acquired all of this property ..

Farther east were the Sankeys, Tatchells, Leonard Thompson and John Nicholson.

In the early 1890's, new settlers to the district were the Tom Wilsons, Carlsons, Kings, Zetterstroms, Swansons, Robertsons, Christiansons and the Rombough family, to be followed soon by the Hills, Frasers, McKays, Whites, Bates and Billy Scott.

In July 1900 Charlie Daw and his friend Jake Smith were murdered on the former Charlie Sankey farm.

The children of the community attended Mountainside School, which was two and a half miles South of Whitewater, until 1894, when school was started in a room above the store with Miss Emma Rombough as the first teacher. The school, Petersburgh, was built in the village the following spring.

The Whitewater football team won the Manitoba championship

in 1898. .

-50-