This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 51 or Next - Page 53

of Turtle Mountain. The first reeve of the municipality was Finlay Young. The excessive size of the municipality, with the inadequate means of communication, resulted in the division of the district into three rural municipalities, Turtle Mountain consisting of Townships 1 to 4 in Ranges 17 to 19, Deloraine consisting of Town­ ships 5 and 6 in Ranges 17 to 22. The first reeve of Deloraine Municipality was James Fleming; of Turtle Mountain, Wm. Ryan and of Riverside H. McMillan. The boundaries of the municipalities have been changed at various times, until in 1896 they assumed their present form.

With the organization of the district into municipalities, provi­ sion was made for the erection of Judicial and County Court Districts and Land Titles Districts.

With the extension of the boundaries of the province the district was included in the Western Judicial District with its centre at Brandon, and Boissevain became the centre of a County Court Division. The Hon. D. M. Walker was the first county court judge, and was succeeded in 1891 by the Hon. T. D. Cumberland. In 1902, the Southern Judicial District was formed and the first judge was Corbet Locke, who was succeeded by G. T. Armstrong, who in turn was succeeded by the present Judge, Hon. J. Milton George.

The first Registry Office was located at Old Deloraine; later with the coming of the railway at Deloraine, and in 1902 was moved to Boissevain.

-52-