This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 50 or Next - Page 52

Church services were first held in the Mountainside School, then in Petersburgh until 1904 when a Presbyterian Church was built. It was opened by Dr. Carmichael with Rev. J. Hamilton as the first minister. Previous ministers of the community were Revs. Munroe, Law, and Dewar.

In 1912 a consolidated district was organized between Moun­ tainside, Whitewater and Strathallan and called Waukeemo. This was dissolved in 1915, as it was realized that these districts were not suitable for consolidation.

Then we come to 1913 when Mountainside has a roalroad, C.N.R., and the farmers that previously hauled grain to Whitewater had an elevator.

About the same time the C.P.R. built a railroad on the North side of Whitewater Lake and the grain teams that plied across the lake all winter ceased and the village began to dwindle.

The store was burned in 1913 to be replaced by a smaller one.

The lumber yard, implement shed, boarding house, blacksmith shop and elevators were torn down one by one, or hauled away.

N ow to 1924 when we saw a great change in our Whitewater district with the coming of the Mennonite people from Southern Russia. Where there were large grain fields and scattered homes, we saw little houses springing up on many half sections. Soon trees were surrounding the houses and we knew that homes had been established.

In the late 1940's when men came with seismographs and tested the land for oil, and then agents to buy our oil rights, little thought was given to it. It was not until they started drilling on Gid Rom­ bough's old place, now Abram Dyck's, in the summer of 1953, and oil was struck, that excitement grew.

We have now six producing wells in our Whitewater field. Our community and village is now thickly settled with the Mennonite people and a few of the old timers, the Zetterstroms, Caldbicks, the J. Wilsons and the Robertsons; and so we close with a new era in the Whitewater district.

Written by Whitewater W.I.

HISTORY OF MUNICIPALITIES

When the earliest settlers arrived in this district, it was part of the Northwest Territories and the only administrative authority was the Turtle Mountain Land District, which was administered from the Lands Office at Old Deloraine. The duties of the officials of the district consisted only of the registration of homesteads and pre-emption entries. With the extension of the boundaries of the province in 1881 part of the added territory consisting of Townships 1 to 6 in Ranges 17 and 22 were formed into the Rural Municipality

-51-