This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 83 or Next - Page 85

The Ninga Presbyterian Church, Ninga, Man.

Courtesy, Mrs. Sam Tripp

Baptist Church, Boissevain-Courtesy Mrs. Ken Chambers, Boissevain, Man.

their church for Sunday services. In 1890 the Ninga and Boissevain congregations were organized as one field and churches were erected in both places, which arrangement has pertained to the present time.

The home of Samuel Oke, in the Fairburn District, is credited with being the first meeting place of those who later constituted the Methodist Church. This was in 1881. In the following year, action was taken by the Methodists to form a circuit and application was made to the Missionary Society of the Church in Toronto for the location of a Minister in their midst. In response to this request, Rev. P. Davies was sent to the district, and a circuit was organized with its centre at Old Deloraine, and six preaching stations. In 1882, the Rev. Andrew Stewart-late on the staff of Wesley College-took charge of the work and with the help of an assistant in the summer months, ministered to the community, which stretched from the Souris River to the International boundary. During his ministry the railway was extended to Boissevain; the Village came into being as the centre of the district and attracted to itself all the organiza­ tions of the surrounding country. The Methodist Church then assumed the form which it retained until the union of the churches in 1926--'a town charge ministering to several country appoint­ ments. The first service of the Methodist Church in Boissevain was held in March 1886 in the harness shop of W. C. Cottingham, and for a year the services, as well as the services of the Presbyterian Church were held in the passenger railway coach which remained

-84-