This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 82 or Next - Page 84

their adoption. Among them was Henry Drummond, Lord Strath­ allan, afterwards, the Earl of Perth, a layreader in the Church of England, and he it was who conducted the first Anglican service in the district in 1880, and was thus instrumental in establishing the Anglican Church in the community. Services were conducted by him in the homes of the various settlers and later as an established practice at "Waubeesh," the home of John A. Brondgeest. In 1883, the Rev. George Aitkens, who had come to Canada with his brothers and homesteaded in the district, took up the work, and for three years conducted services and administered the rites of the Church. With the extension of the railway to Boissevain, the Church authorities decided to form a parish and established the work on a permanent basis. In 1887 Archbishop Machray appointed the Rev. Chas. Wood, as the first incumbent and he held his initial service in the new parish of Boissevain, now St. Matthews, on the last of January, 1885. For a time, until suitable accommodation could be found, the services were held in the dining room of the Ryan House, and later in the Masonic Hall. In 1889, Caleb Ryan, proprietor of the Ryan House, donated the land to form the site of the Anglican Church. The contract was let to Wm. Lambert, and with the volun­ teer labour of members of the congregation, who furnished the stone drawn from the surrounding district, the mason work was completed in the autumn of that year, but it was not until the end of March 1890 that the church was opened by Archbishop Machray. At various times the church has been enlarged and during the encumbency of Rev. J. W. Matheson, a commodious rectory was erected on the church grounds.

In addition to the work in Boissevain, All Saints Church ten miles Southwest of the Town was erected in 1898, largely through the generosity of friends in England, and was formally opened by the Archbishop. For more than thirty years All Saints served the district, but finally on account of the removal of the majority of the parishioners, it had to be closed and the church which was once a landmark anda centre of community life is but a memory of the past.

In other parts of the district, Anglican Churches have been built to minister to the needs of members of that denomination, at Desford, Old Desford, Ninga and Fairfax-and the work has been carried on at these points since the last decade of the past century.

The history of the Baptist Church in the Boissevain district begins in the late 1880's when H. J. Haviland of McMaster Hall, Toronto, ministered to a widely scattered group of Baptists in Holm­ field, Killarney and Boissevain. In 1888, the local members of the denomination requested that a church be organized, which was done. The first church clerk was L. Underwood, and Dr. F. L. Schaffner, J. G. Frith and Wm. Wade were elected deacons. Arrangements were made with the local Methodists for the use of

-83-