This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 85 or Next - Page 87

Rev. Peter and Mrs. Fisker, one of the first Presbyterian ministers in Boissevain

Several of the points in the district which were ministered to by the Methodist minister and lay preachers from Boissevain had separate beginnings. The first Methodist service in the Minto Dis­ trict was held in the Victoria School in 1882 with Squire Heath in charge, and it was not until 1890 that Minto became part of the Boissevain charge. Ten years later with Brownlea and Bunclody, it became a separate circuit under the leadership of Fred Wark, James Donley, W. L. Bardy and Wm. Barret.

The Methodist Church at Rowland had its beginning in 1881, in the Haight home under the Rev. Pat Lawery, and services were later conducted by the Rev. Oliver Darwin. Services were held in the school until a fine modern brick church was built, which is still in use.

~86~