This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 86 or Next - Page 88

Whitewater Church. Courtesy T.

Robertson, Whitewater, Man.

The Presbyterian Church in Boiseevain Courtesy Geo. Stevenson

Immediately upon the settlement of the district the nucleus of a Presbyterian congregation could be found at various points within its bounds at Wakopa, at Mountainside and in the community centred in what is now Minto.

In 1880, Wakopa had become the business centre of the district, and it was here in that year that the first Presbyterian service was held conducted by the Rev. J as. Robertson, the Home Mission Secre­ tary of that denomination. In 1881, the Rev. Wm. Patterson, later of Cooke St. Church, Toronto, made his headquarters at Wakopa and travelled the district on foot ministering to the people under his charge. The first service in what is now the Municipality of Morton was held in the home of Jas. Burgess on 22-2-20 WI.

From the summer of 1883, Presbyterian services were con­ ducted at various points in the district bv the Rev. A. H. Cameron, a retired minister,- who had taken up land North of Boissevain. For several years he was the only ordained minister in the locality capable of solemnizing marriages and administering the sacraments and his services were sought by the whole district. With the coming of the railway and the concentration of community organizations ni Boissevain inevitably led to the organization of a Presbyterian congregation there. It appears to have had an informal existence, but in 1886 a church was under construction and was ready for occupation in the spring of 1887. On the 25th of February in that year the congregation was formally constituted, elders elected, a Communion Roll prepared and arrangements made for the celebra­ tion of the Lord's Supper on the following Sunday. The record shows that the sacrament was dispensed to twenty-five members bearing, names familiar to the whole community - Patterson Burgess, Hettle, Richardson, Robertson, Glen and Johnston, and the elders assisting were John Linklater and Adam McAllister. The congregation at that time was under the superintendance of the Rev. Malcolm McKenzie of Morden, and it was not until 1889 that an ordained minister, Rev. J. K. Welsh became pastor. The pastorate of Mr. Welsh lasted for two years in which time the congregation

-87-