This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 87 or Next - Page 89

Burnside Church, situated on a hilltop, visible from miles around. Courtesy Mr. Allen Johnstone

was built up, extra elders appointed and a Sunday School and choir organized. Mr. Welsh was succeeded by the Rev. Peter Fisher, a fervent preacher and zealous pastor who was followed by the Rev. Alex. Hamilton, whose encumbency lasted until 1912, and whose retirement marked the completion of tweny-five years of the con­ gregation life of the Presbyterian Church.

The appointment of an ordained minister in Boissevain naturally resulted in outside appointments of the Presbyterian Church being placed under his charge, but some of these churches had been in being before there was a church in Boissevain. As early as 1882, the church at Burnside took form in services held in the home of John Linklater and a Sunday School was organized for the religious training of the young. Church and Sunday School were carried on in the Linklater home until 1890 when the church was built and John Linklater, Adam McAllister and Andrew Glen were ordained as elders. The church was the centre of a wholesome social life for many years until improved methods of transportation were introduced and the members found it possible to worship in larger centres.

In the Mountainside District, Presbyterian services were held in the homes of the early settlers prior to 1882, when the new school began to be used for the purposes of public worship. In 1895 with the erection Of 'Petersburg School at Whitewater, services were held there and Mountainside and Whitewater became a charge under an ordained minister. In 1904, the church was built in Whitewater and continued to be used for about thirty years until the removal of old members from the district forced the discontinuance of the services.

In the northern part of the district, now tributary to Mino, Presbyterian services were held as early as 1882, and were con­ ducted by the Minister of Plum Creek, now Souris. The first services

-88-