|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 108 or Next - Page 110
The Waterloo Company, an assembling plant for steam and gasoline engines and threshing machines, was established in Portage between 1908 and 1909. A transfer house for Western Canada, it employed 25 to 30 men. John Herron was manager from 1912 to 1913 and N. K. Weber from 1913 to 1943. It was subsequently sold to the McCallister Pea Company.
Portage Iron Works was founded in 1908-10 and purchased by Western Radiator Company in 1913, employing 50 to 60 men in this period. Taken over by Economy Foundry in 1922, it was operated until the early 19305. It was re-opened in 1934-1935 by the Link Manufacturing Company and then purchased by Charles Astbury in 1935. All firms operated in the same building on Tupper Street north.
In 1910, an assembling plant for gasoline engines and threshing machines, the Hart Parr Company, was opened. It operated for about 10 years and was then sold to the Oliver Plow Company.
Corrugated Pipe Company was established around 1912, em ploying six or seven men. Here, corrugated culverts of all sizes were manufactured. Owned and operated by Thomas Cook, the plant was located just north of the Power Commission sub-station. It was sold to Western Steel in the early 1920s.
WORLD WAR I
When Archduke Francis of Austria and his wife were assassi nated at Sarajevo, Bosnia, by Gavrio Prinzip on June 28, 1914, it started a chain reaction which resulted in a world war.
Austria declared war on Serbia, July 28th; Russian troops invaded Germany (August 2nd); and when the Germans invaded the neutral country of Belgium, England declared war on Germany August 4, 1914. Canada and all the British commonwealth countries were then eager to aid in the battle for freedom and justice.
Canada sent between 400,000 and 500,000 of its most physi cally fit young men to fight in this war. Many of them were from Portage la Prairie and surrounding districts, and many of them never returned.
It wasn't a war of equal weapons, equal chances and "may the best team win" sort of thing. It was a dirty war in which the Germans introduced poisonous gas (April 22-28, 1915) in a desperate attempt to overpower the allies.