|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 113 or Next - Page 115
Wm. M. McBeth and T. E. Scott entered into a partnership and leased the Portage Garage on Tupper Street, and opened up with a complete line of auto accessories and were prepared to do all types of auto repair work.
Announcement was made that Brown's Store's lease had been renewed for 30 years.
Prices ranged from high to low in wearing apparel. Peck's store advertised authentic wool jersey frocks (down past the calves) at $44.50, and Prior Brothers were selling ladies' suits for $5.55.
Alexander Studio re-opened in a new location next door to Arnold's Bookstore. The new studio boasted fine daylight and a violet ray lamp for persons wishing to have photographs taken in the evening.
The war was still going on with all the work, worry and hard ships connected with it, when the city was saddened by the news that three Portage district youths, all recognized heroes, had been killed in action. They were Lance Cpl. Cecil G. Burton, Private George Code and Private E. S. Fushey. Three of their Portage friends, Pte. H. O. Blair, Pte. H. W. Favell and Sgt. Richard Alford were awarded Military Medals the same year.
Courageous deeds of several Portage boys was part of an enlight ening account given by Major Thurlow Fraser, D.D., former pastor of Knox Church who spent two years overseas. The names he men tioned were: Stewart Thomson, Sid McKay, Harry McKenzie and Sid Bradshaw.
Canada's war debt had reached a sizable figure and the Victory Loan Campaign of 1918 was aimed at striking enthusiasm everywhere. Special headquarters were opened up in the Murton Block. There were 'honor flag' buttons and display cards for all bond purchasers. Three days before the campaign was scheduled to end, Portage la Prairie went over the top exceeding its $600,000 objective by $6,850. Brown's Ltd., J. J. Garland, J. H. Waind, D. C. Stewart, T. Reynolds, J ames Ector and George Blight all purchased in excess of $2,000.
Portage rural land had risen in value by 1918 and farm sales at $50 per acre were advertised.
Announcement was made by the provincial government at this time that a Child Welfare station, the fourth in Manitoba, was to be located in Portage la Prairie.