|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 143 or Next - Page 145
The interesting architecture and beautiful interior of this church are a credit to the old-timers of 1899 who built it about that time.
Actually this was the third S1. Mary's la Prairie Church built here. The second one was a frame building, erected in 1882, and had a seating capacity of four hundred people. It was declared unsafe after fifteen years of service and was replaced by the one we have today.
In 1913 the Parish Hall was built, and it has always been a centre of community as well as church activity. For many years the hall was a popular place for concerts, plays and operettas, and many people throughout the Dominion have happy memories of evenings spent in this Hall.
During World War II, the Church took an active part in pro viding social activities for the local troops and in looking after com forts for the men overseas.
Besides the Sunday School and various church organizations, St.
Mary's Hall has been home to innumerable Cubs, Scouts, Brownies and Guides. It is still in demand for public meetings, and because of the excellent accoustics it is used every spring at Musical Festival time.
Since the days of Archdeacon Cochrane to our Manitoba Cen tennial year of 1970, St. Mary's la Prairie Anglican Church has shown a steadfast influence on lives in the community.
ST. ANNE'S CHURCH
(Located at Poplar Point)
In this day and age when churches are erected by trained construction crews, it might be of interest to many to read the history of St. Anne's Church, and the method of procedure, and materials used in building such an edifice in pioneer days.
The history of this wonderful old church was written by Wilfred (Billie) Hallet of Poplar Point, and was published in the Portage Daily Graphic on March 9th, 1929. We quote the following in Mr. Hallet's own words:
"Over 70 years ago, when Manitoba was in its infancy, a number of Red River settlers drove their creaking ox carts along the trail and settled at a place now called Poplar Point. Here they settled along what later became known as the Portage highway, then a winding narrow trail.