|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 150 or Next - Page 152
(The Scou ts and Cubs had their Charter presen ted to them in 1958, with Mr. Ed. Morris as chairman, and Mrs. Ted Ek, secretary. )
The Roman Catholic Church could be called the earliest church to become established in Portage la Prairie. In about 1749, before Archdeacon Cochrane and the first white settlement, there was a Roman Catholic Mission on the Island. It is said that La Verendrye erected a chapel at Fort La Reine during his time there also. No trace of their existence is visible today of course.
In the year 1894, land was purchased for S1. Cuthbert's Church, but it wasn't until 1899 that the two-storey frame church was com pleted and ready for services. Father J. Vien was the first pastor. The church was located on Duke Avenue. It, and the rectory were destroyed by fire a few years later.
In 1914, St. John's Parish, was built on the St. Cuthbert site.
Rev. A. R. Hall and his assistant, S. Cahill are in charge of this Parish at the present time.
St. Hyacinth R.C. Church had its origin in 1913, a few months after St. Cuthbert's Mission Church burned down. Mr. John Zywina and Mr. John Ziubrak called a meeting at the home of the former for March 7th of that year for the purpose of planning the building of a church. John Zywina, Simon Charchala, Michael Gardyi and Dominic Pe1echaty were given permission to proceed to Winnipeg to interview the Rev. Father Kowalski o.m.i. pastor of the Holy Ghost Church there, concerning what proper action should be taken in order to build a church. The location had been previously selected on the corner of Eliza beth and Fifth Ave.
The Polish delegation, together with Rev. Father Kowalski, went to His Grace, Archibishop Beliveau of St. Boniface, to get the neces sary permission, which was granted during the interview. His Grace also contributed $200.00 toward the building fund.
Plans for the church were that it should be 64' x 32' with a belfry and a sacristy, using as much of the salvaged lumber from the old St. Cuthbert's Church as possible. The plot was blessed by Father Nandzik on July 8th, 1913, and immediately thereafter building began. The cornerstone was laid by Msgr. Dugas of St. Boniface, assisted by Rev. Fathers Prudhomme, Shult and Kowalski.
A sermon was delivered in both Polish and English, even though English was very rarely used at that time.