|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 154 or Next - Page 156
Redeemer Lutheran Church and Rev. Koehler.
while activities of Redeemer Lutheran Church. It encourages good citizenship and seeks to identify itself with the community in which it is situated, including their projects and services that are in agree ment with its faith.
The comfortable, cottage-like simplicity of the Redeemer Luther an Church, set in lovely surroundings, is shown in the picture here. Rev. L. A. Koehler, Pastor of the church, is the gentleman standing on the lawn.
In 1947, Dr. C. H. Best, Supt. of Home Missions for the Con ference of Manitoba, was guest speaker at the United Church in Portage la Prairie at both services on Sunday, November 2nd. On that occasion some interesting church history was narrated, which we will quote here.
"The present building was erected in 1897, the first service being held in January, 1898. The roots of the present United Church go much deeper than that, however.
Rev. Mr. Fletcher held Presbyterian services in Portage in 1862, and Rev. Alexander Mathewson took up the work in 1867, and in 1873 a congregation was officially organized with Roderick McLeod and James O. Fraser as Elders.