|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 155 or Next - Page 157
In 1874 Rev. Alan Bell was called and inducted to the Presby terian Church. He remained for 13 years and was succeeded by Dr. Peter Wright, for the years 1888 to 1899. At the turn of the century, Rev. George Arnold became minister and served until 1904. He was followed by Rev. Thurlow Fraser who served from 1905 to 1911. Then, Rev. G. Watt Smith became the pastor from 1912 to 1917, and he as followed by Dr. Peter Scott who served from 1918 to 1925.
The Presbyterian Church, which was built in Sioux Village in 1899, was the place of worship for Indian families for many years. The architecture was the same as could be seen in many small town churches across Canada. The picture, shown here, was taken after a
flood, and the dam age to the building is obvious. It was torn down in 1957 and a new edifice ( also shown here) was erected.
|Rev.||H a r r y|
Crump who was pastor of the Pres byterian Church in Sioux Village from 1950 to 1961 has an al bum of pictures, taken during tha t time, w h i c h he treasures. Many are of Indian families tha t he knew and loved by his associa tion with them.
Rev. Crump is now retired and liv ing in Portage la Prairie. It is due to his courtesy that we are able to show you these pictures, and also preserve them for posterity.
The Methodist Church was established in Portage la Prairie in 1872 with Rev. Michael Fawcett as pastor. Some of the early ministers included Rev. Wm. Halstead, Rev. J. Hewitt and Rev. James